MA in Non-Governmental Organization Management
Around the world, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) are delivering much-needed services, advocating for social causes, and mobilizing for collective impact. In fact, there are over 10 million NGOs worldwide, with 1.5 million nonprofits registered in the United States alone.
This substantial growth within the social sector requires skilled leaders, managers, and staff to strengthen its operations and implement best practices. Johns Hopkins’ online Master of Arts in Non-Governmental Organization Management is the first of its kind to be international in scope and domestic in practice. Students acquire the leadership, management, and organizational skills needed to succeed in the nonprofit sector, either domestically or abroad. This MA program offers courses that focus on leadership, fundraising, grant writing, strategic planning, project management, marketing, communications, and resource development. Students complete their studies with a capstone project that concentrates on a real-world issue relevant to today’s nonprofits.
Advance Your Career
Whether you are looking to take your existing nonprofit career to the next level, or you want to change direction and pursue leadership opportunities within an NGO, this online master’s program can help you reach your goal.
Our courses will deepen your understanding of the sector, cultivate your leadership style, and broaden your interpersonal skills to make a profound impact on communities near and far.
The MA in NGO Management degree is ideal for the student who:
- Wants to strengthen their career at a nonprofit or non-government organization
- Aspires to work within the nonprofit sector or in one of its subsectors (arts, culture, humanities, education, environment and animals, health, human services, international and foreign affairs, public or membership benefit, and/or religious organizations)
- Recently graduated from undergraduate school and wants to work within the social sector
- Returned from an experience with Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, or the U.S. Army, and wants to pursue a higher degree in a specialized field
- Passionate about mission-based, charitable, service delivery, or advocacy work
- May have considered an MBA or MPA but prefer specialized technical skills relevant to charitable or advocacy organizations
- Interested in serving on a Board of Directors, Board of Trustees, and/or working closely with nonprofits
- Desires to found and/or lead their own nonprofit/non-governmental organization, foundation, or social enterprise one day
Study on Your Terms
Offered 100% online, the JHU Master of Arts in Non-Governmental Organization Management program gives you the flexibility to earn your degree while still working full-time. You can also tailor the program toward specific career interests by choosing one of three areas of focus, and build your final capstone experience around an issue relevant to you.
Why Study NGO Management at JHU?
Accessible from anywhere online, our DC-based program offers you access to top-tier faculty who are leading practitioners in the nonprofit field.
Expert, Experienced Faculty
Learn from well-respected professionals with long and distinguished careers in the social sector, public service, and nonprofit leadership. Many of our faculty members are active in the field, bringing with them practical examples of today’s most relevant topics.
Concentrations: Find Your Focus
Customize your program by choosing to concentrate in “Project Management, Evaluation and Leadership”, “International Mission-Based Organizations”, or “Social Enterprise”.
Immersive Capstone Experience
Your program caps off with one of three opportunities to showcase your skills: an in-person internship or consultancy, a project relevant to the field, or an in-depth research paper that benefits the social sector in some way. All capstones will possess some aspect of real-world application.
Powerful Alumni Network
Our Alumni Advisory Board is composed of alumni with notable accomplishments in diverse fields both in the private and public sector. This group serves as a resource for students and alumni seeking career advice and networking opportunities.
Take the Next Step
Become an agent of change and enhance your nonprofit leadership expertise with a flexible, online NGO management degree program.