Global Security Studies
The Master of Arts in Global Security Studies challenges students to confront the complexities of the 21st-century security environment with the latest policy and theoretical tools for analysis and action.
MA in Global Security Studies
|Format||Online and Onsite (Washington, D.C.)|
|Entry Terms||Summer, Fall, and Spring|
|Degree Requirements||12 courses|
|Length of Program||16 – 24 months|
|Tuition||$4,234* per course.
*Final rates pending approval of the Board of Trustees.
Non-state actors, rising powers, and hybrid wars in strategic areas pose complex challenges to global security. Such challenges are also opportunities for creating smart, effective security policy. The MA in Global Security Studies Program drives students to confront the policy complexities of the 21st-century security environment and gives them the theoretical knowledge and policy tools to help shape our world.
The Global Security Studies degree program rests on three pillars that provide a framework for analyzing these myriad challenges and opportunities — military security, economic security, and energy and environmental security. Our students analyze military and foreign policy challenges, the intricacies of resource scarcity, and the security implications of energy dependence and economic interdependence.
We also offer a fifteen-course combined MA in Global Security Studies/Certificate in Intelligence.
State-specific Information for Online Programs
Note: Students should be aware of state-specific information for online programs. For more information, please contact an admissions representative.
- 10.21 - Drs. Jennifer Bachner and Sarah O’Byrne Publish Article on Teaching Quantitative Methods
- 1.10 - MA in Global Security Studies Student Colby Connelly Publishes Article in RealClear Defense
- 1.3 - Dr. Jennifer Bachner Publishes Case Study on Survey Experiments
- 2.25 - Intelligence History Brownbag Lunch – The Coldest Front: The Central Intelligence Agency and American Antarctic Policy and Operations
- 3.28 - Spring 2020 Open House in Washington, DC
- 5.20 - 2020 AAP Graduation Ceremony
- Admissions Requirements
- Degree Requirements
- Course Descriptions
- Career Opportunities
- Course Schedule
- Multi-Year Schedule
- Students & Alumni
- Program Resources
- International Study
- Thucydides, International Politics, and War (Summer 2020)