There are no hard and fast deadlines, but we recommend that you complete your FAFSA two months before the start of the term.

You are responsible for paying any tuition charges if your aid is not processed at the time you receive a bill. If your charges have been paid, you can receive a refund when the loan is actually credited to your account.

The FAFSA School Code is E00473.

Check your SIS account online here. Your JHED LID and password are required for access.

The summer semester is treated like the fall and spring semesters. Students must take at least two courses or six credits in order to be considered half-time.

If you choose to take just one course over the summer, you should consider other methods of payment such as a private student loan or using your existing funds.

Students may borrow up to a maximum of $20,500 in Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans combined per academic year. The maximum amount of Federal Direct Subsidized loans available per academic year is $8,500.

Students may also borrow a Federal Graduate PLUS Loan up to their cost of attendance less other aid. 

Provisional/Conditional admitted students who are not yet fully accepted into their program may receive one year of federal student financial aid, but the annual limit is $12,500 in Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans combined, with a maximum of $5,500 available in a Federal Direct Subsidized loan. Provisional students do not qualify for Graduate PLUS loans.

NOTE: If you are enrolled in less than two courses in any term, you are not eligible for Federal Direct Student Loans for that term. You may want to consider borrowing through a private/alternative loan program.

Federal funds are awarded on the basis of financial need. A federal formula considers your available income and assets, and calculates an expected contribution. Prior year income is used as the basis for the analysis. Current year income may be used for students who will experience a significant income reduction as a result of attending a part-time program.

Yes, but you first must complete the FAFSA so that we can determine your eligibility for lower interest Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized student loans. If you have an additional need after that, you may apply for a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan.

NOTE: Students are strongly encouraged to complete this process and qualify for lower interest rate loans before applying for private loans.

Your estimated costs include an amount for books. If you have completed a FAFSA and any other required documents, the loan will be credited to your account. The loan proceeds will first be applied to any tuition charges on your bill.

If you have a credit balance remaining after tuition is covered, you can request a refund and use the money to buy books.

You can submit this online form that will go directly to the AAP Registration Office. For EPP students, contact the EPP Registration Office directly. 

Degree candidates must be enrolled at least half-time, defined as six credits or two non-audited courses per semester. If you drop below half-time status before the end of the drop/add period, your aid may be canceled. See Return of Title IV Funds Policy.

Johns Hopkins is approved by the Maryland Higher Education Commission for the training of veterans and the widows and children of deceased veterans under the provisions of the various federal laws pertaining to veterans’ educational benefits. Information about veterans’ benefits is available here. Find more information on veterans’ education benefits here.

Submit your questions about veterans’ benefits.

In addition, please read below regarding third-party payers. The VA is considered a third-party payer.

Students with third-party payers are required to submit documentation and complete a brief acknowledgment section on SIS Self Service. Find more information here. This website includes information on how to upload the required documentation, along with FAQs and contact information for the JHU Third-Party Payer team.

Contact Us for More Information

Office of Student Financial Services

3400 N. Charles Street
146 Garland Hall
Baltimore, Maryland 21218


Our team works together to assist you in the areas of financial aid and student accounts.

Audience Menu