International College or University Coursework

Applicants who earned their post-secondary degree(s) in a country other than the United States are required to have a “course-by-course” credential evaluation with GPA performed by an outside evaluation service. Evaluations are waived only if the student received his/her undergraduate degree from a US institution, and the undergraduate coursework taken internationally was transferred to that institution. However, an official electronic transcript is still required from all US institutions attended.

Accepted Credential Evaluation Services

The credential evaluation services below are acceptable. Do not send transcripts from international institutions. The credential evaluation service will send us your transcript along with the evaluation. We will not review your application until both are received.

World Education Services

World Education Services' course-by-course evaluations must be sent to AAP officially. WES evaluations are received electronically. Our institutional code is Johns Hopkins Advanced Academic Programs, 1717 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Suite 101, Washington DC 20036. Please make sure that when you are completing your order, you select “Johns Hopkins University – Advanced Academic Programs” as a recipient from the WES drop-down menu, which will allow us to receive the report electronically.

Educational Perspectives

Educational Perspectives course-by-course evaluations must be sent to us officially. Our institutional code is Johns Hopkins University Advanced Academic Programs, Suite 101, 1717 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington DC 20036

Sending Your Official Transcripts

We prefer to accept electronic transcripts emailed directly to AAP Admissions from the granting institution. If your institution doesn’t provide electronic transcripts, you can request your official transcripts to be mailed directly to our Transcript Processing Center.

Transcript Processing Center

Johns Hopkins University Advanced Academic Programs
851 Trafalgar Court
Suite 420 West
Maitland, FL 32751

English as a Second Language

International applicants must demonstrate English proficiency by meeting at least one of the following requirements:

  • The applicant submits official TOEFL, IELTS, iTEP, or PTE scores
  • The applicant holds a post-secondary degree from a country where English is both the official language and the only language of instruction
  • English is both the official language and the only language of instruction in the applicant’s native country


Official TOEFL score reports must be sent to us in the mail. Photocopies or electronic TOEFL score reports will not be accepted. AAP requires a minimum score of 600 on the paper test, 250 on the computer-based test, and 100 on the Internet-based test. Please check your program’s Admissions and Application Requirements page for additional details. Our institutional code is 8747 Johns Hopkins Adv Acad Programs.


Applicants should contact the test center where they took the test directly and request that test scores be sent electronically using the IELTS system. All IELTS test centers worldwide are able to send scores electronically. AAP requires a band score of 7.0.


Official PTE Academic results must be sent to us in the mail or electronically. Photocopies of PTE Academic score reports will not be accepted. AAP requires a minimum score of 68.
Our institutional code is Krieger School of Arts and Sciences – Advanced Academic Programs

iTEP (Available through Fall 2021)

The Office of International Services (OIS) has been in contact with representatives at iTEP, the International Test of English Proficiency. iTEP currently offers a special internet-based version of their test for J-1 scholars (not F-1 students) that is not dependent on a physical location or proctoring. Temporarily, for the duration of the testing suspension, iTEP has agreed to permit JHU prospective F-1 students to take this special version of their test.

AAP will accept these test scores for summer and fall 2020 admissions.

Student Visas

Students admitted as degree candidates who plan to take courses onsite in the US, and who take at least three courses per semester, may request certification for an F-1 visa. Students for whom this may be a possibility should indicate “yes” on their admissions application at the appropriate checkbox regarding initiating the visa process.

AAP International Students on F-1 Visas Can Begin Their Program in the Fall or Spring Semester

The summer term varies by program availability. Please check with your program of interest. In order to maintain status on an F-1 visa, students in AAP must be enrolled in a minimum of three courses per semester, only one of which can be an online course. The Admissions Office will assist in the certification process ( which the student must complete with the Office of International Services (OIS).

International students who have been admitted as degree candidates may request certification for an F-1 visa. A requirement of the F-1 visa is that an international student must be enrolled in at least 3 courses per semester (only one can be an online course). The Office of International Services is available to answer questions by phone at 667-208-7001 or by email at

Degree Programs:*

MS in Applied Economics

MS in Bioinformatics

MS in Biotechnology

MA in Communication

MS in Energy Policy and Climate

MS in Environmental Sciences and Policy

MA in Film and Media

MA in Global Security Studies

MA in Government

MA in Public Management

Dual Degrees:*

MS in Applied Economics and the MBA

MS in Biotechnology and the MBA

MA in Communication and the MBA

MA in Government and the MBA

NOTE: International Students are eligible for F-1 sponsorship while pursuing one of these dual degree programs. If you change from your dual degree to the MBA only, visa sponsorship will not be possible because the MBA is a part-time program and part-time programs are not eligible for F-1 sponsorship. All F-1 authorizations for students in a dual degree are based on the full-time AAP degree program. Contact the Office of International Services if you have any questions:

Credential Combinations:*

MS in Applied Economics degree combined with a Graduate Certificate in Financial Management

MS in Applied Economics degree combined with a Graduate Certificate in Investments

MA in Global Security Studies degree combined with a Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Intelligence

MA in Public Management degree combined with a Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Intelligence


*This list is subject to change.

Audience Menu