Taking in-person classes at Johns Hopkins University offers you tremendous opportunities and experiences as a degree-seeking International student.

When planning on taking advantage of studying in person with other motivated scholars, please remember to indicate “yes” at the appropriate checkbox regarding initiating the visa process within your admissions application. Following your acceptance as a degree candidate and if you intend to enroll in on-campus courses in the U.S., you may request certification for an F-1 visa. You will need to plan to enroll in at least three courses per semester.

Which Semester Can I Start My Degree?

As an AAP international student on an F-1 visa, you will most likely begin your program in the Fall or Spring semester. The summer term varies by program availability. Please check with your program of interest. In order to maintain status on your F-1 visa, all AAP students must be enrolled in a minimum of three courses per semester, only one of which can be an online course. The Admissions Office will assist in the certification process (aapinfo@jhu.edu) which the student must complete with the Office of International Services (OIS).

International students who have been admitted as degree candidates may request certification for an F-1 visa. A requirement of the F-1 visa is that an international student must be enrolled in at least 3 courses per semester (only one can be an online course). The Office of International Services is available to answer questions by phone at 667-208-7001 or by email at ois@jhu.edu.

Degree Programs:*

MS in Applied Economics

MS in Bioinformatics

MS in Biotechnology

MA in Communication

MS in Energy Policy and Climate

MS in Environmental Sciences and Policy

MA in Film and Media

MA in Global Security Studies

MA in Government

MA in Public Management

Dual Degrees:*

MS in Applied Economics and the MBA

MS in Biotechnology and the MBA

MA in Communication and the MBA

MA in Government and the MBA

NOTE: International Students are eligible for F-1 sponsorship while pursuing one of these dual degree programs. If you change from your dual degree to the MBA only, visa sponsorship will not be possible because the MBA is a part-time program and part-time programs are not eligible for F-1 sponsorship. All F-1 authorizations for students in a dual degree are based on the full-time AAP degree program. Contact the Office of International Services if you have any questions: ois@jhu.edu.

Credential Combinations:*

MS in Applied Economics degree combined with a Graduate Certificate in Financial Management

MS in Applied Economics degree combined with a Graduate Certificate in Investments

MA in Global Security Studies degree combined with a Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Intelligence

MA in Public Management degree combined with a Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Intelligence


*This list is subject to change.

Audience Menu