Admission and Application Requirements
- A grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. For students who have been out of school for some time work experience may be considered.
- Strong writing skills
How to Apply
- Complete the Online Application and upload required supporting materials
- Submit the application along with the $75 application fee
Required Supporting Materials
- 750-word Statement of Purpose.
- Two letters of recommendation that verify professional and/or academic accomplishment. Under “Recommendations,” include the contact information for two recommenders. They will be automatically emailed access information to the system. They can then complete and upload their recommendation form.
- Official transcripts
JHU AAP accepts official transcripts that are electronically sent directly from the granting institution and emailed to email@example.com. If your institution does not provide electronic transcripts, request that your institution send an official transcript directly to:
Johns Hopkins University
Advanced Academic Programs
Transcript Processing Center
851 Trafalgar Court
Suite 420 West
Maitland, FL 327512
- If you have international coursework, send in the course-by-course credential evaluation. Study abroad may be exempt.
- If English is your second language, you may be required to take the TOEFL or IELTS examination.
The Admissions Committee reserves the right to request additional information from applicants, if needed, to assess their candidacy for admission. Please note: All application materials submitted to the Advanced Academic Programs become the property of Johns Hopkins University and will not be returned to applicants under any circumstances.
Advanced Standing allows consideration for those who have graduate-level coursework from an accredited college or university to be exempt from taking up to two courses towards degree completion. To be considered for advanced standing, you must meet the following criteria:
- Completed graduate-level courses from a Museum Studies degree or certificate program of an accredited university; OR
- Graduated from the Johns Hopkins University Museums and Society undergraduate program; AND
- Earned an A or A+ in the course being considered for a waiver advanced standing within the past three years
The following materials are required and will need to be uploaded to your online application for each course:
- Syllabi for the course(s) being submitted for advanced standing, including name of University and program attended
- Course number(s) of JHU elective course(s) considered for exemption
Additional Application Information
No Application Deadline
We accept applications year-round for fall, spring, or summer semesters. We recommend submitting your application materials at least 6 weeks before the desired start date. International students should apply at least 3 months before the semester starts.
Provisional Student Status
If you do not meet all the requirements for admission, you may still be admitted to a program as a provisional student. We determine admissions on a case-by-case basis.
Take the Next Step
Gain the skills you need for museum leadership in the 21st century.