Post-Bacc Health Science Intensive
All applicants who complete their applications (who have submitted applications and have all required supporting documents submitted) by March 1, 2015 are guaranteed to have an initial review decision by March 15, 2015. This is a guideline, NOT a deadline. Completed applications received after this date will be reviewed until the incoming Summer 2015 class is filled. Admission to the HSI Program is competitive and space is limited, so we strongly recommend applying early to ensure your greatest chance of success.
The Johns Hopkins University Post-Baccalaureate Health Science Intensive Program is a unique concentration in the MS in Biotechnology program. In one-year as a full-time student, you will be immersed in an innovative 360° curriculum specifically created to help students like you who want to build a more competitive medical school application.
This 360° curriculum includes the traditional advanced science academic coursework necessary to bolster your academic record for a successful medical school application (knowledge) along with the practical skills (tools) necessary to use them in the field (application) as well as the advice and mentoring necessary to be successful (support).
This unique approach is designed to help you prepare simultaneously for application to medical school and success in medical school while concurrently earning a Master of Science in Biotechnology degree from Johns Hopkins University.
|Course Locations||Rockville, MD (Montgomery County)|
|Available 100% Online||No|
|Entry Terms||Summer semester|
|Degree Requirements||10 courses|
Benefits of the Post-Bacc Health Science Intensive Program
- Attend a premier research university known for its excellence in the sciences
- High quality courses on a number of unique and interesting scientific topics that will strengthen and broaden your scientific knowledge
- To complement the science courses, you will complete three non-science courses that focus on skill building in communication, leadership-teamwork, and understanding the social and psychological determinants of health.
- Through group seminars and one-to-one advising, you will gain a thorough understanding of the medical school application philosophy and strategy, and how to best highlight your strengths.
- Through one-to-one advising, you will develop a personalized academic and volunteering plan. You will identify your weak points and troubleshoot how these can be addressed effectively.
- You will utilize volunteering opportunities to explore medicine and your own professional goals.
- At the culmination of the program, you can request a committee letter of recommendation to support your application.
- You will have assistance throughout the medical school application process. Target school section, application review, personal statement review, secondary essay advice, and mock interviews will help you present your best, most authentic application.
- MCAT preparation course
Innovative 360° Curriculum
We believe that being a physician requires individuals who have a solid foundation in the sciences and are armed with an interpersonal skill set necessary to apply science knowledge in a way that is both sensitive and effective. Yet without a place to apply that knowledge and these skills, what you learn in the classroom lacks meaning.
We believe that to TRULY prepare you for medical school, you need MORE than classes.
Building a solid foundation in rigorous science courses is important.
Through the HSI Program, you will be required to take Biochemistry, Cell Biology I and Molecular Biology.
Choose 4 additional science electives and PERSONALIZE YOUR EXPERIENCE. We want you to LOVE YOUR CLASSES, so take the ones that interest you.
You also need soft-skills.
Physicians need more than book-smarts; they are leaders, community members, communicators, educators and advocates.
Through the HSI Program, you will take three innovative courses SPECIFICALLY TAILORED FOR YOU.
- Communication for Health Care Professionals: Written or oral, formal or informal, there is no greater strength than a doctor with the gift of communication.
- Building and Leading Teams in Health Care: Providing quality care is a team sport. Strong leadership and teamwork skills are a necessity for the next generation of physicians.
- The Psychosocial Determinants of Health; Implications on Diagnostics: This capstone course explores the balance between the science of diagnostics and the art of providing care for a complex and unique individual.
Use what you’ve learned to help others.
Medicine is a lot of things to a lot of people, but it’s always about helping others. Your post-bac experience should be too.
Whatever challenges you face, there is always an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others. HSI students are strongly encouraged to get involved in their community through clinical or research opportunities.
You have questions. We have answers.
Application to medical school is complicated. Good thing we’ve done it a few hundred times. Through seminars and individual advising, we’ve got you covered. From application strategy to picking target schools, we’re here to make sure you have everything you need to succeed.
- Admissions Requirements
- Degree Requirements
- Course Descriptions
- Tuition and Fees
- Innovative Curriculum
- Facilities & Resources
- Contact Information