Individualized Genomics and Health
Individualized Genomics and Health is a rapidly growing area of research and applied science. The growth is due in large part to our increasing dependence on DNA and RNA sequence analysis of human and microbial genomes for diagnosis and treatment of disease. This emerging field requires a workforce with multi-disciplinary skills in bioinformatics, bioscience, regulatory science, policy and ethics. The goal of this degree program is to produce a highly skilled workforce with the theoretical knowledge and practical skills to meet the demands of the academic, research, and business communities.
|Course Locations||Baltimore, MD; Rockville, MD; Online|
|Available 100% Online||*Yes.|
|Entry Terms||Fall, Spring or Summer semester|
|Degree Requirements||10 courses|
|Tuition and Fees||Tuition in the 2017-18 academic year is $4,196 per course. More information.|
As the field of Individualized Genomics and Health requires practitioners to have multiple competencies, the core of the Master’s degree will include foundation courses in Epigenetics, Human Molecular Genetics, Ethical, Legal and Regulatory aspects of individualized genomics, bioinformatics and individual genome analysis. After completion of the core requirements, students may choose to concentrate in Laboratory Diagnostics, Genomics, Regulatory Science or Policy or choose a general concentration. Specifically, the degree program consists of six core courses, three concentration courses and one elective.
Students will be able to:
- Explain the molecular and genetic basis for human disease including the role of epigenetics
- Analyze a human genome to identify possible indicators of health and disease
- Apply bioinformatics tools to the analysis of human DNA sequences
- Explain the ethical, legal and regulatory aspects of individualized genomics and health
- Understand the laboratory methods required to identifying genes responsible for disease
State-specific Information for Online Programs
*Note: Students should be aware of state-specific information for online programs. For more information, please contact an admissions representative.
- 11.17 - Emerging Opportunities in Biotechnology 2017
- 11.1 - Master of Biotechnology Enterprise and Entrepreneurship Presented Nature Biotechnology Podcast
- 10.23 - MS in Individualized Genomics and Health at American Society for Human Genetics Conference
View a recorded Online Open House session