Center for Biotechnology Education
The Johns Hopkins University Krieger School of Arts and Sciences created the Center for Biotechnology Education to engage diverse audiences in the world of biotechnology and to prepare the leaders of today, tomorrow, and the next generation for the challenges of the 21st century.
By expanding the scope of biotechnology education, the Center for Biotechnology Education is building a pipeline of students and professionals prepared to achieve success in K-12 education, graduate school, and the work environment in the fields of biotechnology, bioinformatics, regulatory science, and biotechnology enterprise and entrepreneurship.
The Center is home to the following degrees and certificates:
Graduate Degree Programs
- Master of Science in Bioinformatics
- Master of Science in Biotechnology
- Master of Biotechnology Enterprise and Entrepreneurship
- Master of Science in Food Safety Regulation
- Master of Science in Individualized Genomics and Health
- Post-Bacc Health Science Intensive Program
- Master of Science in Regulatory Science
- Master of Science in Biotechnology/MBA Dual Degree
- Certificate in Biotechnology Enterprise
- Certificate in Biotechnology Education
- Certificate in Science, Technology, and International Security/MS in Biotechnology with a concentration in Biodefense
- Post Master’s Certificate in Sequence Analysis and Genomics
“The JHU AAP MS in Biotechnology program is truly outstanding. Not only did I benefit from rigor of the curriculum, but the program’s flexibility allowed me to fully pursue my academic interests. Thanks to the program and my MS, I am now doing a PhD in genetics.” — Kipper Fletez-Brant, class of 2012
The Center’s mission is to expand the reach of biotechnology education through three channels:
Our graduate programs are designed for working professionals — delivering the rigorous and practical curriculum they need to advance their careers or academic ambitions. Johns Hopkins’ Center for Biotechnology Education (CBE) Program is rooted in the multidisciplinary skills of basic research, drug discovery technologies, bioinformatics, regulatory affairs, food safety regulation, and product commercialization. The program offers five master’s degrees, graduate fellowships, and certificates.
Orchestrating partnerships with industry and government organizations to provide community outreach, professional development, educational opportunities, workshops, research symposia, and lecture series for academia, industry, and the general public.
Inspiring the next generation to explore the world of biotechnology is an important objective of the Center. We developed several hands-on programs for children in elementary, middle and high school that introduce them to this exciting field.
“I am a student in the MS in biotechnology program with a concentration in regulatory affairs. I am writing to say thank you for the great job announcement posts. Thanks to information that I received from both Gabrielle Congalton and Jamie Austin, I learned of a regulatory strategy position with Pfizer, interviewed, and was offered a position on the company’s Collegeville, PA campus! I’m very excited and can’t wait to start! Thanks again!” — Monique Carter, class of 2014
Our goals are to increase public awareness and understanding of biotechnology, to inform educators of the resources and programs available locally and nationally, to become a resource center for biotechnology information, to coordinate training workshops for students and professionals, and to support biotechnology training and education locally, nationally, and internationally.
Emerging Opportunities in Biotechnology
View AAP Biotechnology YouTube playlist
- 1.25 - AAP Student, Kimberly Church Named Finalist for Presidential Management Fellows Program
- 12.22 - Interview with Master of Biotechnology Enterprise and Entrepreneurship Alum Armando Salim Muñoz Abraham
- 12.21 - Kristina Obom, Patrick Cummings and Josh Olszewicz Had Their Article Published in the Journal of Visualized Experiments, JoVE
- 3.22 - MS in Individualized Genomics & Health Online Open House
- 4.3 - MS in Regulatory Science and MS in Food Safety Regulation Online Open House
- 4.4 - MS in Bioinformatics and Certificate in Sequence Analysis and Genomics Online Open House
View Open House
Connect With Us
- About Us
- Graduate Education
- Professional Development
- Student and Alumni Bibliography
- Research Symposium
- Facilities & Resources
- Video Resources