Immigration Considerations

AAP offers courses in Baltimore, MD, Washington, DC, and online. Regardless of where you are taking courses, the Office of International Student and Scholar Services on the Baltimore Homewood campus serves all AAP international students who have come to the U.S. on a JHU sponsored visa (typically an F-1 visa).

As a newly enrolled F-1 student, in order to comply with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations, you can only begin your program in the fall or spring semester. To receive an F-1 visa, students in AAP must be enrolled in a minimum of three courses to be considered full-time status, only one of which can be online during the fall and spring semesters. International students on an F-1 visa are not required to take courses during the summer term.

Contact Us for More Information on Immigration Matters

Office of International Student and Scholar Services

Available Student Services

Since AAP is considered a part-time program, students taking three courses or more are considered full-time status in a part-time program and are not eligible for certain services on the Baltimore Homewood campus designated only for students enrolled in full-time programs, such as the Recreation Center, and the Health Center.

AAP students can see a doctor at JHU Community Physicians if they have the proper insurance coverage. AAP students at all locations are entitled to the full range of AAP student resources to enhance their academic and personal experience.

Medical Insurance

International students must enroll in the university health insurance plan or a comparable plan. The university health insurance plan has enrollment periods over the summer (for fall enrollment) as well as during January (for spring enrollment). Learn more about student health insurance.

Tutoring Services

AAP has partnered with to provide 24/7 online writing tutoring. You can log on and meet a tutor live, schedule a future appointment, or drop off your assignment for comments and review. Log onto Canvas and click the “AAP Student Resources” Organization to access this resource.


Advanced Academic Programs does not provide housing for students, but we do provide resources for locating housing in your preferred neighborhood. Learn more about housing resources.

Frequently Asked Questions

Advanced Academic Programs does not provide employment for students. Strict immigration laws exist which govern employment of international students in the U.S. It is important to consult the Office of International Services on these matters.

F-1 students can work only 20 hours or less on the JHU campus; however, certain international organizations like the World Bank can employ students with F-1 visas after the appropriate documentation has been submitted. Fellow students, faculty, and advisers serve as a valuable resource for networking. Campus jobs can be found at the JHU Student Employment site. In addition, AAP Career Services can help students prepare resumes, cover letters, and practice for employment interviews.

Yes, for some programs. With approval from your program advisor and program director, you can enroll in CPT for programs that participate in CPT. (You must complete the CPT form.)

Yes, but only after receiving a recommendation from your program adviser and approval of the OISSS.

Yes. Please contact your academic advisor for approval prior to enrollment in the course.

Teaching assistantships are not available to students at Advanced Academic Programs.

Audience Menu