Requesting Disability Accommodations

Student Disability Services (SDS) is using a new database called Accommodation Information Management (AIM). All requests for accommodations starting with Fall 2022 will be processed through AIM.

  • Students who are brand new to working with SDS can submit an application to start the process.
  • Students with approved accommodations can request accommodations for the fall using the AIM Student Portal and by following the Student Guidelines for Requesting Accommodation through AIM. The portal will be accessed using your Hopkins JHED ID and password. Single sign on will work after the first time if you use it.Please note: Students who are still in the process of getting accommodations approved or submitting documentation, should contact SDS at the email address for your school below if you have any questions about next steps in that process. The AIM Student Portal will be available for you to login once you are approved to use accommodations.

Please contact SDS at [email protected] if you have any questions or concerns.

Students are required to provide student personal information, disability information, previous accommodation information, current accommodation requests, and supporting documentation when submitting the accommodation registration form.

After the registration form and documentation has been received and reviewed, the Disability Coordinator will reach out to schedule an appointment to discuss accommodations. After you are approved, you will receive your accommodation letter through your email from the SDS office. You can also access your letter through your Aim profile. It is the responsibility of the student to provide their instructors with their accommodation letter within the first week of classes. In order to continue receiving accommodations for the remaining semesters, students must submit a renewal request through Aim.

Documentation Guidelines for Individuals with Disabilities

Students, staff, and faculty requesting accommodations at Johns Hopkins University are required to submit documentation to receive services and/or accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments (ADAAA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Individuals with disabilities are protected from discrimination and may be entitled to reasonable accommodations and the right to equal access to programs and services.

General Documentation Guidelines

Johns Hopkins University acknowledges that once a person is diagnosed as having a disability the disability may be lifelong. While the disability may continue, the severity of the condition and/or how it impacts an individual in different settings may change over time. The purpose of requesting documentation is to consider each person individually and to understand if and how the individual is impacted by their disability in a higher education environment. This information is needed to make an informed decision about the need for accommodations and services.

In order to determine if a specific accommodation(s) is reasonable and appropriate, the following factors will be considered:

  • Disability
  • Accommodation history
  • Personal self-reported statement
  • Observations and Interactions with Disability Services/ADA Coordinator
  • Previous accommodations received
  • Accommodations being requested
  • Unique characteristics of course and/or employment
  • Any other documentation provided

Accommodation decisions are typically not made until written documentation is provided and an interview has been conducted.

Definition of a Disability

In order to receive accommodations, an individual must have a mental or physical condition that substantially limits a major life activity. Types of disabilities we serve include (but are not limited to): Blind or Low Vision, Chronic health Conditions, Cognitive Disabilities (ADD, LD), Deaf or Hard of Hearing, Physical Disabilities, and Psychological Disabilities.

Documentation from External Sources

Appropriate disability accommodations are determined based on documentation which may include educational or medical records, reports and assessments from health care providers and psychologists.

A 504 Plan, Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or Summary of Performance (SOP) can be submitted as documentation so long as the information provided indicates the impact of the condition and helps identify a connection between the disability and the appropriate accommodation(s) being requested.

The following information must be submitted:

For All Disabilities

A completed Disability Verification Form or typewritten letter from an appropriate professional is needed.  The letter must include:

  • History of the disability
  • Description of the current impact and functional limitations as it relates to:
    • Students: Meeting the various demands of higher education and residential living (academically, socially, emotionally, physically, etc.)
    • Employees: The limitations caused by the condition and how those limitations impact the employee’s performance of the essential functions of the job ( please refer to the position description)
  • Expected progression or stability
  • Recommendations for accommodations or services
  • Implications of existing co-morbid conditions
  • Additional observations and/or recommendations

Access the Disability Verification Form

For All Cognitive Disabilities  (Learning Disabilities, conditions or incidents impacting the brain, Attention Deficit Disorder, Asperger’s, and other Pervasive Developmental Disorders)

  • A comprehensive neuropsychological or psychoeducational evaluation that includes aptitude and achievement (preferably one with measures normed for an adult) in order to determine current functional impact and to support accommodations requests
  • Rating scales and objective measure of attention (for ADD)
  • Standardized scales of symptoms related to Autism (Asperger’s and PDD)
  • Language learning-related scales and interpretation (if student is requesting accommodations related to second language learning)

For Physical and Medical, Chronic Health, and Psychological Disabilities

  • A completed Disability Verification Form from a qualified professional you are currently working with.

For Sensory Disabilities (Blind, Low Vision, Deaf, and Hard of Hearing)

  • A recent report from your doctor or a completed Disability Verification Form from a qualified professional you are currently working with must be provided.

Transfer and Graduate Students

  • In addition to the documentation you provide, you are also encouraged to send a letter from the Institution you previously attended that includes the timeframe in which you were provided services and the accommodations used.

Accommodation needs can potentially change over time and updated information should be submitted so the most effective services and accommodations can be provided. Updates at reasonable intervals may be requested when needs are not considered ongoing.

Disability Services also reserves the right to request additional documentation in order to support specific accommodations. If additional information is needed, Disability Services may determine that it is appropriate to provide provisional accommodations in the interim. Provisional accommodations will be determined based on the information that has been provided and are typically limited to the current term for students.

These guidelines are provided so that Disability Services can respond appropriately to the individual needs of the student. Disability Services reserves the right to determine eligibility for services based on adherence to these guidelines and established policies and procedures.

Student Status

Students in special student status or provisional status follow the same procedures as outlined above.

Students in dual degree programs will follow the procedures established by the school or division in which the courses are taught.

Students from other JHU divisions who have completed an interdivisional registration form and have received advisor approval to take an AAP course must also complete an AAP Request for Accommodations Form. Depending on the accommodation, there may be a time delay before accommodations can be implemented.

Grievance Procedure

Grievance Procedures for Students with Disabilities.

University-wide Student Disability Services

The Executive Director for Student Disability Services serves as the central point of contact for information on physical and programmatic access, specific accommodations, resolution of complaints and problems, faculty and staff concerns, and identification of available services. Contact the Executive Director at: 410-516-1107 or [email protected]. Additional information is located on the University-wide Student Disability Services page.

Audience Menu