Acceptance of Admission

Students indicate acceptance of the offer of admission by enrolling in appropriate courses. Failure to enroll within one year of the date of admission is interpreted as a change of plans on the student’s part and necessitates reapplication if later enrollment is desired. Starting from the first course counted toward fulfillment of the master’s degree program, the student has five years to complete all coursework. (See time limitations below.)

Residency Requirement for Some Online Courses

Many online courses and programs are offered in the Advanced Academic Programs. Several of these programs are fully online (Biotechnology, Bioinformatics, and Regulatory Science as well as a certificate in non-profit management). Other programs are considered “mostly” online with a one OR two course on-site residency requirement depending on the program (Museum Studies and Environmental Studies). All students planning to take online courses should consult with their program advisor to review the details of the on-site requirements (if applicable) for their desired degree. To see which programs are offering courses online in any given term, check the current Course Schedule.

Academic Standing

The university reserves the right to exclude at any time a student whose academic standing or general conduct is deemed unsatisfactory.

Transfer Credits

Graduate courses taken at any institution other than the Johns Hopkins University are not accepted and cannot count toward graduate degree requirements in the Advanced Academic Programs.

Time Limitation

Students must complete all course work in a master’s degree program within five years, calculated from the start of the first course that counts toward the degree. This time limit includes any courses taken at another Hopkins division that have been approved to count toward the degree, whether or not such courses were taken during a student’s studies in the Part-time Graduate Programs.

Students who have not completed degree requirements at the end of five years may not be able to count courses older than five years toward their degree. Instead, they may be required to take additional program courses to complete the required number within five years.

If more than a year lapses between a student’s courses, the student is considered to have withdrawn from the program. Such students must reapply, and they are subject to the admission and program requirements in force at the time of their new application. Acceptance is not guaranteed even for students previously admitted, and courses taken prior to the interruption of studies might not count toward degree requirements depending on the admissions committee’s decision.

International Student Visas

Because they offer only part-time study, the Advanced Academic Programs generally are not appropriate for students who need a student visa (which is only available to full-time students). However, occasionally, an international student, already residing in the United States and planning to take courses in the Advanced Academic Programs equivalent to full-time enrollment, may request certification for a visa. To be eligible for this certification, a student must be admitted as a degree candidate and must attend on a full-time basis, i.e., the student must enroll in at least three courses per semester. Students for whom this may be a possibility should include a statement expressing their need for a visa with their application. An Advanced Academic Programs administrator will then assist in the certification process the student must complete with the International Student and Scholar Services. The International Student and Scholar Services is available to answer questions at 410-516-1013.

Leave of Absence

Students who anticipate that they will not enroll in classes for one semester or more but intend to resume their studies must notify their program of their intention to do so. For a Leave of Absence in the summer semester, students need to only notify their program if they have not been enrolled in the spring semester beforehand.

Leave of Absence is an approved absence from the University during which time students are not charged tuition nor are they required to register for courses. Time spent on LOA is regarded as an approved break in study and is not counted toward the total time-to-degree. Students on LOA will have access to limited advising and career services. Please note, LOA will not be granted to a student who is currently in a required culminating experience (thesis, capstone, independent research project) course or in a culminating course continuation.

If a LOA is granted for a current semester, the current course/s will be automatically withdrawn and will be subject to the refund policy and refund schedule. LOA requests for a current semester must be made prior to the audit/withdrawal deadline.

LOA may impact health benefits, visa status, and financial supports. Visa students must contact OIS before applying for LOA.

To apply for LOA, students complete a Request for Leave of Absence form if granted LOA, students automatically receive an extension in their time to complete their degree for the same period of time as their leave. All other criteria listed in the Time Limitation Policy remain in place. Students are limited to two years for LOA, taken at one time or in combination during the student’s academic career with AAP.

Students who are granted LOA must notify AAP via the SEAM online form before resuming their studies at the end of the allotted leave time. AAP will withdraw students from their programs if they do not resume their studies after a LOA has expired (refer to the Inactive Status Policy for more information).

Completion of Degree Requirements

The Johns Hopkins University confers degrees three times year (after each term), and awards diplomas once a year to all students who completed requirements during the preceding spring, fall, or summer terms. Graduation ceremonies take place once a year in May.

Students who complete their degree requirements at the end of the summer term or fall semester will be included in the formal graduation ceremony in May. The University Registrar will communicate with graduates following each term regarding updates to transcripts and the mailing of diplomas.

Audience Menu