Summer 2023 Registration is Now Open
MS in GIS Admission and Application Requirements
The Master of Science in Geographic Information Systems requires:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited US college or university is required, with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Meeting the minimum GPA requirement does not guarantee admission. Applicants who received their bachelor’s degree in a country outside of the United States are required to provide a course-by-course credential evaluation and TOEFL scores if English is not their first language.
- A semester of statistics or quantitative methods is required.
How to Apply
- Complete the Online Application and upload required supporting materials
- Submit the application along with the $75 application fee
Required Supporting Materials
- A Statement of Purpose explaining how GIS is an appropriate venue of instruction for your career needs.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae.
- Under “Recommendations,” include the contact information for two recommenders. At least one academic reference is preferred. The recommendation form found on the online application is required. They will be automatically emailed access information to the system. They can then complete and upload their recommendation form.
- Official transcripts: JHU AAP accepts official transcripts that are electronically sent directly from the granting institution and emailed to [email protected]. If your institution does not provide electronic transcripts, request that your institution send an official transcript directly to:
Johns Hopkins University
Advanced Academic Programs
Transcript Processing Center
851 Trafalgar Court
Suite 420 West
Maitland, FL 32751
- If you have international coursework, send in the course-by-course credential evaluation. Study abroad may be exempt.
- If English is your second language, you may be required to take the TOEFL or IELTS examination.
The admissions committee reserves the right to request additional information from applicants, if needed, to assess their candidacy for admission.
All application materials submitted to the Advanced Academic Programs become the property of Johns Hopkins University and will not be returned to applicants under any circumstances.
Additional Application Information
No Application Deadline
We accept applications year-round for fall, spring, or summer semesters. We recommend submitting your application materials at least 6 weeks before the desired start date. International students should apply at least 3 months before the semester starts.
Contact Us for More Information
Advanced Academic Programs Admissions
Take the Next Step
GIS professionals are in demand and well paid. Take the first step toward a career in this growing field.