Admission and Application Requirements
The MS in Bioinformatics program admits students on a rolling basis. We encourage applicants to complete their applications a few months before their intended start term to ensure sufficient time to render an admissions decision.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in the biological sciences or in engineering. Programs require a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Meeting the minimum GPA requirement does not guarantee admission.
All the prerequisites listed below can be taken from the existing Master of Science in Computer Science or the Master of Science in Biotechnology programs. Students who have not completed all the prerequisites may be admitted provisionally to complete the admission requirements.
- Two semesters of Organic Chemistry (or 410.302 Bio-Organic Chemistry)
- One semester of Biochemistry (or 410.601 Biochemistry)
- Introduction to Programming Using Java, C++, or C (or 605.201 Introduction to Programming Using Java)
- Data Structures (or 605.202 Data Structures)
- One course in Probability and Statistics (or 410.645 Biostatistics) and
How to Apply
- Complete the Online Application and upload required supporting materials
- Submit the application along with the $75 application fee
Required Supporting Materials
- 500-word Statement of Purpose.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae.
- Do not upload recommendations, as they are not considered for this program.
- Official transcripts: JHU AAP accepts official transcripts that are electronically sent directly from the granting institution and emailed to email@example.com. If your institution does not provide electronic transcripts, request that your institution send an official transcript directly to:
Johns Hopkins University
Advanced Academic Programs
Transcript Processing Center
851 Trafalgar Court
Suite 420 West
Maitland, FL 32751
- If you have international coursework, send in the course-by-course credential evaluation. Study abroad may be exempt.
- If English is your second language, you may be required to take the TOEFL or IELTS examination.
Additional Application Information
No Application Deadline
We accept applications year-round for fall, spring, or summer semesters. We recommend submitting your application materials at least 6 weeks before the desired start date. International students should apply at least 3 months before the semester starts.
Take the Next Step
Sharpen your programming and data analysis skills and expand your biological knowledge to pursue career opportunities in bioinformatics and the greater biotechnology industry.