Admission and Application Requirements
The MS in Applied Economics degree program admits students on a rolling basis. We encourage applicants to complete their applications a few months before their intended start term.
A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited US college or university, or equivalent international credential, plus:
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- One semester of introductory microeconomics passed with at least a B grade.
- One semester of introductory macroeconomics passed with at least a B grade.
- One semester of undergraduate calculus, or equivalent, passed with at least a B grade. (Any of these three courses above can be substituted by a CLEP exam with at least 65 points, scaled, or an AP exam with at least a grade of 4.)
- Intermediate economic theory courses (especially Micro), passed with B or above, are helpful in gaining admission.
- A higher grade in a more advanced course in Micro, Macro, and Calculus trumps a lower grade in a less advanced course, but a repeated course grade is not acceptable.
These are necessary conditions for admission, not sufficient conditions.
How to Submit a CLEP Score
- Download the CLEP transcript submission form.
- Under “CLEP TRANSCRIPT RECIPIENT,” submit your score to the following address:
Johns Hopkins University, Advanced Academic Programs, Attn: Office of Admissions,
1717 Massachusetts Ave NW, Suite 101, Washington, DC 20036.
(Please Note: Do NOT include a college code #)
- To send to the College Board, follow the instructions listed at the bottom of the form.
To submit a CLEP score at the time of the exam, please contact the Test Administrator. For questions about submitting a CLEP score, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply
- Complete the Online Application and upload required supporting materials
- Submit the application along with the $75 application fee
Required Supporting Materials
- A 250-word statement of purpose.
- Under “Recommendations,” include the contact information for two recommenders. They will be automatically emailed access information to the system. They can then complete and upload their recommendation form.
- One-page resume.
- Official transcripts: JHU AAP accepts official transcripts that are electronically sent directly from the granting institution and emailed to email@example.com. If your institution does not provide electronic transcripts, request that your institution send an official transcript directly to:
Johns Hopkins University
Advanced Academic Programs
Transcript Processing Center
851 Trafalgar Court
Suite 420 West
Maitland, FL 32751
- If you have international coursework, send in the course-by-course credential evaluation. Study abroad may be exempt.
- If English is your second language, you may be required to take the TOEFL or IELTS examination.
Additional Application Information
No Application Deadline
We accept applications all year round. We encourage applicants to complete their applications a few months before their intended start term. This ensures sufficient time to render an admissions decision. International students seeking a visa should apply at least 3 months prior to their intended start term and can be admitted to the Applied Economics program for Fall or Spring semesters provided they have studied multivariable differential calculus.
If you have completed graduate-level coursework from an accredited college or university, you may be exempt from taking up to two courses towards degree completion. The courses for which advanced standing is desired must be the equivalent of one of our core courses and have been taken in a master's program or higher in Economics or Statistics. Please upload syllabi for each course to your online application.
Take the Next Step
Gain the analytical skills you need to help decision-makers make sound decisions. Learn more about Johns Hopkins' flexible MS in Applied Economics program.