Admission and Application Requirements
The MS in Applied Economics program admits students on a rolling basis. We encourage applicants to complete their applications a few months before their intended start term.
A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited US college or university, or equivalent international credential, with a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- One semester of introductory microeconomics passed with at least a B grade.
- One semester of introductory macroeconomics passed with at least a B grade.
- One semester of undergraduate calculus, or equivalent, passed with at least a B grade.
- A grade in a higher-level course trumps a grade in a lower-level course. A B grade or higher upon repeat is not acceptable.
Prerequisite Math Requirement
Those entering with only a single calculus course must take in their first semester Math Methods for Economists – AS.440.304, a three undergraduate credit, full-length course, at half tuition. The course does not count toward the degree. In order to waive the Math Methods for Economists course, evidence of multivariable calculus is required.
Alternative Substitutes for the Program-Specific Requirements
Any of the three program-specific requirements above can be substituted by a College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) exam with at least 65 points, scaled, or an Advanced Placement (AP) exam with at least a grade of 4.
1. Download the CLEP transcript submission form.
2. Under “CLEP TRANSCRIPT RECIPIENT,” submit your score to the following address:
Johns Hopkins University, Advanced Academic Programs
Attn: Office of Admissions
1717 Massachusetts Ave NW, Suite 101
Washington, DC 20036.
(Please Note: Do NOT include a college code #)
3. To send to the College Board, follow the instructions listed at the bottom of the form.
To submit a CLEP score at the time of the exam, please contact the Test Administrator. For questions about submitting a CLEP score, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply
- Complete the Online Application and upload required supporting materials
- Submit the application along with the $75 application fee
Required Supporting Materials
- A 250-word statement of purpose.
- Under “Recommendations,” include the contact information for two recommenders. They will be automatically emailed access information to the system. They can then complete and upload their recommendation form.
- One-page resume.
- Official transcripts: JHU AAP accepts official transcripts that are electronically sent directly from the granting institution and emailed to email@example.com. If your institution does not provide electronic transcripts, request that your institution send an official transcript directly to:
Johns Hopkins University
Advanced Academic Programs
Transcript Processing Center
851 Trafalgar Court
Suite 420 West
Maitland, FL 32751
- If you have international coursework, send in the course-by-course credential evaluation. Study abroad may be exempt.
- If English is your second language, you may be required to take the TOEFL or IELTS examination.
Additional Application Information
Keys to Being a Strong Candidate for Admission
• Intermediate economic theory courses (especially Micro), passed with B or above, are helpful in gaining admission.
• A higher grade in a more advanced course in Micro, Macro, and Calculus trumps a lower grade in a less advanced course, but a repeated course grade is not acceptable.
No Application Deadline
We accept applications all year round. We encourage applicants to complete their applications a few months before their intended start term. This ensures sufficient time to render an admissions decision. International students seeking a visa should apply at least 3 months prior to their intended start term and can be admitted to the Applied Economics program for Fall or Spring semesters provided they have studied multivariable differential calculus.
Take the Next Step
Gain the analytical skills you need to help decision-makers make sound decisions. Learn more about Johns Hopkins' flexible MS in Applied Economics program.