Summer 2023 Registration is Now Open
MA in Writing Admission and Application Requirements
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited US college or university, or equivalent international credential
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
How to Apply
- Complete the Online Application and upload required supporting materials
- Submit the application along with the $75 application fee
Required Supporting Materials
- 2-3 page Statement of Purpose.
- Up to two recommendation letters directly relating to the applicant’s experience or promise as a writer (optional).
- Writing samples. The samples should be up to 15 typewritten, double-spaced pages, or about 3,500 to 4,500 words, in the concentration of interest. Samples do not have to be a single, lengthy piece of writing.
- Official transcripts
JHU AAP accepts official transcripts that are electronically sent directly from the granting institution and emailed to [email protected]. If your institution does not provide electronic transcripts, request that your institution send an official transcript directly to:
Johns Hopkins University
Advanced Academic Programs
Transcript Processing Center
851 Trafalgar Court
Suite 420 West
Maitland, FL 32751
- If you have international coursework, send in the course-by-course credential evaluation. Study abroad may be exempt.
- If English is your second language, you may be required to take the TOEFL or IELTS examination.
All application materials submitted to the Advanced Academic Programs become the property of Johns Hopkins University and will not be returned to applicants under any circumstances.
Additional Application Information
Writing Sample and Concentrations
Applicants are expected to have some familiarity with writing in their chosen concentration before beginning graduate-level courses, although they need not be published or professional writers.
No Application Deadline
We accept applications year-round for fall, spring, or summer semesters. We recommend submitting your application materials at least 6 weeks before the desired start date. International students should apply at least 3 months before the semester starts.
Contact Us for More Information
Advanced Academic Programs Admissions
Take the Next Step
Study creative writing online or on campus at Johns Hopkins University, among a community of writers dedicated to their craft.