Financial Aid

A graduate level education is a highly important investment, and we’re devoted to making your experience at Johns Hopkins affordable. Several financial aid options are available to Advanced Academic Programs (AAP) degree candidates. You must be enrolled in at least two courses per semester to qualify for federal financial aid. Ask your employer about your company’s tuition reimbursement or tuition remission policy — many companies and agencies have educational benefits of this nature.

Scholarships from Outside Sources:

Scholarships from private sources are an additional method of financing your graduate education. The University recommends that students apply for other scholarship and fellowship funds which may be available through outside sources: the state or federal government, private donors, and corporations.. Information about these programs may be obtained by searching the Web. Links to outside funding searches can be found at, and at Outside/Private Scholarships|Freshman and Transfer Students. You can also check at the public library, academic departments, or community organizations. Students must report all awards received to the Office of Student Financial Services. Students who receive private scholarships may have their loan and/or work-study reduced accordingly.

Students are expected to report any outside awards to the Office of Student Financial Services including outside scholarships, employer tuition benefits, and military benefits. Please use the Outside Award Form on our webpage.

Special Note for Maryland State residents:

Students can now log on to the Maryland Higher Education Commission website to get up-to-the-minute information about scholarships and financial assistance. Students can also check on the status of their state scholarship application.

Consider the Bryce Harlow Fellowship Application if you are enrolled in an area outlined by the program.


A listing of Frequently Asked Questions regarding financial aid is below.

When do I turn in my financial aid application? 

You should complete your aid application materials at least 2 months before you need the funds to cover your tuition charges. 

Who can apply for financial aid?

Any enrolled or accepted student who is a U.S. Citizen, permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen may apply. Student must be enrolled at least half-time in two courses or six credits per semester.

NOTE: If you drop below half-time status during the semester, your aid may be canceled for the semester. If you resume half-time status in a subsequent semester, you may request to have your aid reinstated using the Student Loan Adjustment Form.

How do I apply? 

Complete your FAFSA online. You must also submit the Part-Time Graduate Student Aid Application. You may also access this form online. 

Have I missed the deadline? 

There are no hard and fast deadlines, but we recommend that you complete your FAFSA 2 months before the start of the term. You are responsible for paying any tuition charges if your aid is not processed at the time you receive a bill. If your charges have been paid, you can receive a refund when the loan is actually credited to your account.

Did you receive my FAFSA? 

Check your ISIS account online here.
Your JHED LID and password is required for access.

Am I eligible for federal loans during the summer semester?

The summer semester is treated like the fall and spring semesters. Students must take at least two courses or six credits in order to be considered half-time. If you choose to take just one course over the summer, you should consider other methods of payment such as a private student loan or using your existing funds.

What type of aid is available?

Students may borrow up to a maximum of $20,500 in Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans combined per academic year. The maximum amount of Federal Direct Subsidized loans available per academic year is $8,500. Students may also borrow a Federal Graduate PLUS Loan up to their cost of attendance less other aid.

NOTE: Provisional/Conditional admitted students who are not yet fully accepted into their program may receive one year of federal student financial aid, but the annual limit is $12,500 in Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans combined, with a maximum of $5,500 available in a Federal Direct Subsidized loan. Provisional students do not qualify for Graduate PLUS loans.

NOTE: If you are enrolled in less than two courses in any term, you are not eligible for Federal Direct Student Loans for that term. You may want to consider borrowing through a private/alternative loan program.

How is my eligibility determined?

Federal funds are awarded on the basis of financial need. A federal formula considers your available income and assets, and calculates an expected contribution. Prior year income is used as the basis for the analysis. Current year income may be used for students who will experience a significant income reduction as a result of attending a part-time program.

Can I apply for a Graduate PLUS Loan?

Yes, but you first must complete the FAFSA so that we can determine your eligibility for lower interest Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized student loans. If you have additional need after that, you may apply for a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan.

NOTE: Students are strongly encouraged to complete this process and qualify for lower interest rate loans before applying for private loans.

How do I get money to buy my books?

Your estimated costs include an amount for books. If you have completed a FAFSA and any other required documents, the loan will be credited to your account. The loan proceeds will first be applied to any tuition charges on your bill. If you have a credit balance remaining after tuition is covered, you can request a refund and use the money to buy books.

Request a Refund.

What if I drop a class and I’m less than half-time?

Degree candidates must be enrolled at least half-time, defined as six credits or two non-audited courses per semester. If you drop below half-time status before the end of the drop/add period, your aid may be cancelled. See Return of Title IV Funds Policy in the Graduate Student Brochure.

What if I have more questions, who do I call?

Office of Student Financial Services

Phone: (410) 516-8028