Grading Policy


The grading scale for students enrolled for credit is A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C, and F. An “I” (Incomplete) grade is assigned by the instructor who has given the student permission to delay completion of specific coursework for a justifiable reason for a specific amount of time. “WD” (official Withdrawal), and “AU” (Audit) are requested by the student and cannot be assigned by the instructor. A grade of F indicates the student’s failure to complete or comprehend the coursework. An F grade is not removed from a student’s transcript even if a course is repeated.


Degree candidates who receive two grades of C or below will dismissed from their program. If a degree candidate receives a grade of C or below in a core course, the student must repeat that course. Even if the course is repeated, the original C will remain on the student’s transcript, and the student may not receive another grade of C or below. Special students—those who satisfy all requirements for admission to degree candidacy but who choose not to seek a degree—are held to the same performance standards as degree candidates. Provisional students cannot continue in a program if they earn a grade of B- or below in any course taken while they are in provisional admissions status.

Probation and Dismissal

If a degree candidate receives a C or below in an elective course, the course need not be repeated but any course with a grade of F will not count toward your completed requirements. If a degree candidate receives a grade of C or below for a core course, the core course must be repeated. When a course is repeated, both the original grade and repeated grade appear on the transcript. The degree candidate receives credit only once for the course; however, the original grade of C puts the student on probation. If a degree candidate receives a C or below in an elective course, the course need not be repeated, and the course can be counted toward degree requirements. Degree candidates who receive a second C or below, in either a repeated core course or any course taken in the program, will dismissed from the program. Special students are held to the same performance standards as degree candidates. Provisional students who receive a grade of B- or below in any course cannot repeat the course and are dismissed from the program.


Students who experience extenuating circumstances that prevent them from completing coursework within a given term may request an incomplete (I) grade from their instructor. Approval of incomplete grade requests is neither automatic nor guaranteed. To receive an “I” in a course, the student must be in good academic standing at the time of the request, have completed all assignments up to that point, and receive instructor approval.

A student must request an Incomplete grade from the instructor in writing. Requests made before the withdrawal/audit deadline will not be considered as students still have the opportunity to withdraw or switch to audit at that point. Requests must include an explanation of the extenuating circumstances. The Instructor has the right to ask for documentation.

If the instructor, after consultation with the Program Director, determines that circumstances warrant an Incomplete grade, the Instructor and the student will complete the Request for/Resolution of Incomplete Grade form. This form outlines the reason for the Incomplete, the remaining work to be done, and the deadline. The instructor also indicates the grade the student will earn if he or she fails to complete the outstanding assignments.

An Incomplete is granted at the instructor’s discretion; the instructor establishes the conditions for resolving the missing work. It is the student’s responsibility to submit all work at the agreed-upon time. If a student does not complete the missing course work within 60 days from the last day of the term, the “I” will automatically convert to the grade indicated by the instructor on the Request for Incomplete Grade.

Grade Disputes

If a student does not agree with the grade an instructor assigned in a given course, the student should contact the instructor. If the instructor and the student are unable to reach an agreement, the student may present his/her argument to the program committee in writing. The program committee may solicit the instructor’s evaluation in writing or members may ask the instructor and/or the student to appear before them. The committee then determines whether the disputed grade should be changed or retained and informs the student and the instructor of its decision. The committee’s decision is final. Grade disputes must be submitted to the program committee no later than the last day of classes for the following semester. Upon graduation, the graduate’s record is closed. No changes thereafter can be made to the graduate’s transcript, and only active grade appeals already in progress will be considered.