International Student Information

Advanced Academic Programs (AAP) welcomes students from diverse backgrounds, cultures, and from around the world. The following information will be helpful to you as you begin your studies.

Immigration Considerations

AAP offers courses in Baltimore, Maryland, Washington, DC, Montgomery County, Maryland, and online (see campuses locations). Regardless of where you are taking courses, the Office of International Student and Scholar Services on the Baltimore Homewood campus serves all AAP international students who have come to the U.S. on a JHU sponsored visa (typically an F-1 visa). For information on immigration matters, please contact this office at 667-208-7001 or As a newly enrolled F-1 student, in order to comply with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations, you can only begin your program in the fall or spring semester. You cannot begin your studies in a summer semester.  To receive an F-1 visa, students in AAP must be enrolled in a minimum of 3 courses to be considered full time status, only one of which can be online during the fall and spring semesters.  International students on an F-1 visa are not required to take courses during the summer term.

Student Services

Since AAP is considered a part time program, students taking three courses or more are considered full time status in a part time program and are not eligible for certain services on the Homewood (Baltimore) campus designated only for students enrolled in full time programs, such as the Recreation Center, the Health Center, and the Writing Center. AAP students can see a doctor at JHU Community Physicians if they have the proper insurance coverage, and receive help at the Writing Center in Baltimore. AAP students at all locations are entitled to an array of services to enhance their academic and personal experience.

Medical Insurance

International students must enroll in the university health insurance plan or a comparable plan. The university health insurance plan has enrollment periods over the summer (for fall enrollment) as well as during January (for spring enrollment). Please visit the Student Health Insurance page for more information.


Advanced Academic Programs does not provide housing for students, but we do provide resources for locating housing in your preferred neighborhood. Visit Housing Resources for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions

I will be moving to the area. Where do I live?

Your program location, budget, and mode of transportation will influence your housing selection. Please consult the Housing Resources page.

If you are a student in a Center for Biotechnology Education Program, you may have to travel between the Homewood and Montgomery County Campuses to complete degree requirements. Work opportunities for F1-visa students are largely restricted to the Baltimore area. However, some concentrations require coursework at the Montgomery County Campus. Thus, selection of housing location is very important to your program planning. Contact for more information.

I am an international student. Is health insurance mandatory and if so, how do I get it? How do I find a doctor?

International students who are enrolled in three courses or more to satisfy their F-1 visa requirements are considered full time status and should enroll in the University Student Health Insurance plan or a comparable plan. Information on how to enroll can be found at the Student Health Insurance page. Once enrolled, students can search for a doctor.

I don’t have a car. If my program runs courses at both Montgomery County and the Homewood campus or both the Washington, DC Center and the Homewood campus, can I register for courses at two locations?

JHU does not provide transportation between these campuses. It is important to note that the Homewood campus in Baltimore is approximately 42 miles (68 km) from Washington DC and approximately 49 miles (79km) from the Montgomery County campus. Students without cars should select one campus as public transportation could be cumbersome. Students can travel via public transportation between Baltimore and Washington DC center by taking the Homewood shuttle to the MARC train at Penn Station and then the red line metro from Union Station to Dupont Circle. For more information, visit the Visitor Information page. Public transportation between the Montgomery County campus and the Homewood campus is very difficult. Riding by car takes at least one hour one way during non-rush hour times. It is best to choose a primary campus location and consult with your academic adviser in course selection. For students who must travel between Homewood and Montgomery County, carpooling is encouraged but is not always possible. In addition, a student with a U.S. drivers license can rent zip cars. For more information, click here.

I am an international student. Where can I get a job?

Advanced Academic Programs does not provide employment for students. Strict immigration laws exist which govern employment of international students in the U.S. It is important to consult the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (OISSS) on these matters. F-1 students can work only 20 hours or less on the JHU campus; however, certain international organizations like the World Bank can employ students with F-1 visas after the appropriate documentation has been submitted. Fellow students, faculty, and advisers serve as a valuable resource for networking. Campus jobs can be found at the Students Employment site. In addition, AAP Career Services can help students prepare resumes, cover letters, and practice for employment interviews.

Can I use Curricular Practical Training (CPT) while enrolled in the program?

Yes, for some programs. With approval from your program advisor and program director, you can enroll in CPT for programs that participate in CPT. (You must complete the CPT form.)

Can I use Optional Practical Training (OPT) after completion of the program?

Yes, but only after receiving a recommendation from your program adviser and approval of the OISSS.

Can I participate in an internship or externship while enrolled in the program?

Yes. Please contact your academic advisor for approval prior to enrollment in the course.

Does the program provide graduate teaching assistantships?

Teaching assistantships are not available to students at Advanced Academic Programs.