Cultural Heritage Management Podcasts: Dr. Stephen Lansing
Posted in Cultural Heritage Management, Cultural Heritage Management Podcasts, Cultural Heritage Management/Digital Curation, Cultural Heritage Management/Nonprofit Management, Digital Curation, Home page featured, Museum Studies, Museum Studies/Digital Curation Certificate
Heritage Potentials and Pitfalls:
Bali and the impact of its World Heritage Status
An interview with Dr. Stephen Lansing
With its rice terraces and water temples, the subaks of Bali’s cultural landscape blend the natural, cultural, and spiritual through a cooperative social system of management. The 2012 designation of the Cultural Landscape of Bali Province: the Subak System as a Manifestation of the Tri Hita Karana Philosophy, as a World Heritage site, brought about the potential for additional preservation alongside increased tourism but continued challenges to site management remain.
Dr. Stephen Lansing, co-director of the Complexity Institute & a Professor in the Asian School of the Environment at Nanyang Technological University in Singapore, talks about these challenges and potentials. Dr. Lansing worked on the successful nomination of Bali as a UNESCO World Heritage site. The nomination efforts developed out of his study of the subaks and water temple networks of Bali, a system key to the World Heritage site’s eventual designation.
Learn more about the UNESCO nomination process, the subsequent impacts on site management, and the future of Bali’s cultural landscapes.
Documents related to the World Heritage Site of Bali referenced in the podcast are available at UNESCO.
Additional links to Dr. Lansing’s work on Bali’s subaks including publications, film, and video are available at slansing.org.
- All News
- Applied Economics
- Career Services
- Center for Advanced Governmental Studies
- Geospatial Intelligence
- Global Security Studies
- Government Analytics
- Non-governmental Organization Management
- Nonprofit Management
- Public Management
- Research Administration
- Science, Technology, and International Security
- Center for Biotechnology Education
- Biotechnology Education
- Biotechnology Enterprise
- Biotechnology Enterprise and Entrepreneurship
- Biotechnology/Science, Technology, and International Security Certificate
- Food Safety Regulation
- Health Science Intensive
- Individualized Genomics and Health
- Post Master’s Certificate in Sequence Analysis and Genomics
- Regulatory Science
- Energy Policy and Climate
- Environmental Sciences and Policy
- Film and Media
- Geographic Information Systems
- Instructional Resource Center
- Liberal Arts
- Museum Studies
- Organizational Leadership
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute