Is there a residency requirement?

Students enrolled in the MS in Regulatory Science Program are not required to come to campus at any time during the program.

Is this program open to International Students?

International students are welcome to apply. Students who earned their post-secondary degree(s) outside of the United States must take the TOEFL and have a course-by-course evaluation of their transcripts by a service such as the World Education Service (WES). The TOEFL score and WES evaluation should be sent directly to the admissions office. International students should visit the frequently asked questions page for international students. Note: This program is almost completely online – we typically only run one or two on-site courses per year. Therefore, it is not possible to comply with student visa requirements for on-site course loads in the program. It is recommended that students stay in their country of origin and take the degree program completely online to avoid student visa compliance issues.

Does this degree require a thesis?

There is no thesis requirement for this degree. Rather, students participate in a practicum at the end of their degree.

Can I take onsite courses?

We typically only run one or two onsite courses per year. All Regulatory Science courses are offered online.

Can I still apply if I don’t have all the pre-requisites?

You may apply if you do not have all the pre-requisites. Students without adequate pre-requisite coursework may be admitted provisionally to take the non-credit course 410.303 Foundations in Bioscience, which is available online.

Am I required to take the GRE or TOEFL?

The GRE is not required, but the admissions committee reserves the right to request a GRE score to evaluate an application. The TOEFL test is required if your undergraduate degree was not completed in the United States. You must have at least a minimum score of 600 on the paper test, 250 on the computer-based exam, and 100 on the Internet-based exam to be considered for admission.

How much does the program cost?

Students pay by the course. A technology fee of $200 will be added for each online course for which a student registers. Please see the Tuition and Fees page.

How long do I have to complete the program?

You have up to five years to complete the program. If you do not register for any classes for three semesters you will be considered inactive and will need to reapply to the program in order to continue.

Am I eligible for financial aid?

Any enrolled or accepted student who is a U.S. Citizen, permanent resident or eligible non-citizen may apply. A student must be enrolled at least in two courses or six credits per semester. For frequently asked questions on financial aid, go to finaid.jhu.edu.

Which employer organizations have a tuition discount with AAP?

Can I transfer from the MS in Biotechnology into the MS in Bioinformatics, MS in Regulatory Science or Masters in Biotechnology Enterprise and Entrepreneurship?

Yes, you may request a transfer. To do so, follow the directions outlined in the Change of Program Form. Students are not automatically admitted to the requested program; their documents are reviewed by the appropriate Admissions Committee according to the stipulations of the requested program. If admitted, all relevant coursework completed by the student will be counted toward the new degree.

If I have completed one degree from the Center for Biotechnology Education, will any of my coursework count toward this new degree?

You may count up to three courses from a previous master’s obtained at the Center for Biotechnology Education, meaning that you would only have to complete a total of 7 additional courses to earn the MS in Regulatory Science.

Whom should I contact for more information?

If you have any other questions or would like additional information about our programs, contact our program coordinators at biotechnology@jhu.edu.