- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum 3.0 cumulative and science GPA.
Applicants must complete the following courses at a US institution prior to entry into the Post-Bacc in Health Science Program: One year each of:
- general biology with labs
- general chemistry with labs
- organic chemistry with labs
- general physics with labs
These requirements are only considered fulfilled if the student received a C or better in each.
Applicants are not eligible if they have previously attended a U.S. or Caribbean medical school.
How to Apply
- Complete the Online Application.
- Upload the following required materials to the Online Application*:
- a) 500-word statement of purpose. Discuss what motivates you to pursue a career in medicine. How do the strengths of your academic and professional background illustrate this drive? Feel free to include any additional comments that will assist in evaluating your application materials.
- b) Under “Recommendations,” include the contact information for two recommenders. They will be automatically emailed access information to the system. They can then complete and upload their recommendation form.
- i) We require that one recommendation be a science academic recommendation. This could be someone who has taught you in a biology/chemistry/physics/mathematics course and awarded you a letter grade.
- ii) We recommend (but do not require) that one recommendation should be from someone who has supervised you in a medically relevant field. This could be a supervisor at a clinic or hospital where you volunteer, a physician with whom you have shadowed, or someone who supervised you in a research laboratory.
- iii) Recommendations are also accepted from Interfolio. Please see “Recommendations” tab in application for instructions.
- c) Resume or Curriculum Vitae.
- d) Listing of all medically relevant experience.
- e) Listing of all science and math courses taken.
- f) 500-word Declaration of “Different This Time” (Describe the circumstances that led to your prior academic performance. What strategies and tools do you have in place to prevent a similar experience during a post-baccalaureate program?)
- g) 1–2 minutes informal video that will help us get to know you better. Use this opportunity to share more about yourself than what’s provided in the application. There’s no required topic; just be yourself.
- i) We require it to be uploaded on a video hosting service (suggested sites include YouTube, Vimeo, or ZeeMee.)
- Submit the application and pay the $75 fee when you have uploaded all the necessary materials (listed above).
JHU AAP accepts official transcripts that are electronically sent directly from the granting institution and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your institution does not provide electronic transcripts, request that your institution send an official transcript directly to:
Johns Hopkins UniversityThis program requires official copies of all transcripts, regardless of number of credits or courses completed.
Advanced Academic Programs
Transcript Processing Center
32 Mount Joy Street, Suite 300
Mount Joy, PA 17552
- If you have international coursework, send in the course-by-course credential evaluation. Study abroad may be exempt. Visit the International Applicants page to learn more.
- If English is your second language, you may be required to take the TOEFL or IELTS examination. Visit the International Applicants page to learn more.
- Send an official score from one of the following exams: MCAT, GRE, SAT or ACT.
- You can send your MCAT score to Johns Hopkins University Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program under Other Schools and Programs.
- Our institutional code for ETS (GRE) is 8747 under District of Columbia.
- Our designated institution code for College Board (SAT) is 7275 – Johns Hopkins U Advanced Academic Programs.
- Our institutional code for ACT scores is 6933 under Krieger School in Washington DC.
Special instructions for applying to Health Science Intensive concentration. In the online application, complete the Academic Program section as follows:
- Program: MS in Biotechnology
- Confirm Program: MS in Biotechnology
- Degree: MS in Biotechnology
- Concentration: Health Science Intensive
- Preferred Campus: Montgomery County Campus
In the online application, the Additional Information section will ask the following question:
- Are you applying to the MS in Biotechnology Post-Baccalaureate Health Sciences Intensive concentration?
- By answering “Yes,” a new section will appear on the left-hand menu. You will need to complete this section completely prior to submission.
- Admissions Requirements
- Degree Requirements
- Course Descriptions
- Innovative Curriculum
- Where Our Students Go
- Facilities & Resources