Why was the MS in Food Safety Regulation developed at Johns Hopkins?

Food safety regulation is a continuing global public health need that will remain a concern as long as we expand and change our agricultural industries, challenge our environmental capacity, and alter the demographics of our human population. The FDA and United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) regulate the safe practice of primary and secondary food products to the American public. Depending upon the source and nature of food product, the method of shipment, advertisement of nutritional values, etc. are being governed by FDA and USDA’s jurisdictions. Federal food safety activities include inspecting domestic food-processing facilities and imported food at ports of entry, visiting foreign countries or firms to inspect and evaluate foreign food safety systems, analyzing samples collected at food-processing facilities to identify possible contamination, rulemaking and standard setting, and developing guidance for industry, among others.

What kinds of job opportunities might be available to MS in Food Safety Regulation graduates?

Food safety regulatory specialists help to ensure the quality and safety of our food supply. Food safety regulatory specialists enforce proper methods of seed selection, fertilization, pest control, harvesting, storage and transport. They make sure foods are properly labeled, kept at the right temperature and taken off the shelves once they expire. Import inspectors are charged with ensuring that food products imported into the United States meet the same safety standards. For commercially prepared foods, food safety regulatory specialists monitor processing operations, inspect equipment and identify potential sources of contamination. Food safety regulatory specialists also inspect food service operators, such as restaurants and caterers, to enforce health and safety regulations. Most food safety regulatory specialists are employed by government agencies as inspectors or work for a food producer helping to promote full compliance with food safety regulations.

How do I apply to the program?

For more about our application process, click here.

Are courses online different from the courses taken in the classroom?

The content covered in the online version of a course is exactly the same as the content in the onsite course.

Can I still apply if I don’t have all the pre-requisites?

You may apply if you do not have all the pre-requisites. Students without the adequate pre-requisite coursework may be admitted provisionally to take the non-credit course 410.303 Foundations in Bioscience, which is available online.

How long do I have to complete the program?

You have up to five years to complete the program. If you do not register for any classes for three semesters you will be considered inactive and you will need to reapply to the program in order to continue.

How much does the program cost?

Students pay by the course. Please see our Tuition and Fees page.

Am I eligible for financial aid?

Any enrolled or accepted student who is a U.S. Citizen, permanent resident or eligible non-citizen may apply. Student must be enrolled at least in two courses or six credits per semester. For frequently asked questions on financial aid go to: http://www.jhu.edu/finaid/part_time_faq.html

Am I required to take the GRE or TOEFL?

The GRE is not required, but the admissions committee reserves the right to request a GRE score to evaluate an application. The TOEFL test is required if your undergraduate degree was not completed in the United States. You must have at least a minimum score of 600 on the paper test, 250 on the computer based exam, and 100 on the internet based exam to be considered for admission.

Can I transfer from one MS program to another? For instance, may I transfer from the MS in Biotechnology into the MS in Bioinformatics or the MS in Regulatory Science?

Yes, you may request a transfer. To do so, follow the directions outlined in the Change of Program Form. Students are not automatically admitted to the requested program; their documents are reviewed by the appropriate Admissions Committee according to the stipulations of the requested program. If admitted, all relevant coursework completed by the student will be counted toward the new degree.

How many courses can I take online?

All ten courses of the MS in Food Safety Regulation degree program can be taken online.

Is this program open to International Students?

International students are welcome to apply. Students who earned their post-secondary degree(s) outside of the United States must take the TOEFL and have a course-by-course evaluation of their transcripts by service such as the World Education Service (WES). The TOEFL score and WES evaluation should be sent directly to the admissions office. NOTE: International students should visit the frequently asked questions page for international students. Note that this degree is not offered onsite and while students may occasionally find onsite electives, the core, required courses are all online.

If I have completed one degree from the Center for Biotechnology Education, will any of my coursework count toward this new degree?

You may count up to three courses from a previous master’s obtained at the Center for Biotechnology Education, meaning that you would only have to complete a total of 7 additional courses to earn the MS in Food Safety Regulation.

State-specific Information for Online Programs

Note: Students should be aware of state-specific information for online programs. For more information, please contact an admissions representative.