|Effective immediately, JHU AAP will only accept official transcripts that are electronically sent directly from the granting institution.|
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.00. Applicants who received their bachelor’s degree in a country outside of the U.S. are required to provide a course-by-course credential evaluation and TOEFL or IELTS scores if English is not their first language.
How to Apply
Individuals who wish to apply for the combined MA in Communication/Certificate in Nonprofit Management program must apply through the Advanced Academic Programs (AAP). They can apply to both programs concurrently or they can start with one program and then apply for the combined program by submitting an application to the second program through the AAP Admissions Office. The MA in Communication program will consider applicants for the MA in Communication portion, while the Certificate in Nonprofit Management program will consider applicants for the Certificate in Nonprofit Management portion. An individual can be accepted by one rather than both programs; in this case, that person can decide whether to enroll in the single program.
- Complete the Online Application*.
- Upload the following required materials to the Online Application:
- Resume: Include any part- or full-time work, internship, and volunteer history. Detail any responsibilities related to communication and nonprofit management.
- Statement of Purpose: Explain why you are interested in entering the MA in Communication and Certificate in Nonprofit Management combined program, and how it will help your career. Double space your essay and limit it to 500 words or fewer (place the word count at the end of the document).
- Recommendations: Under “Recommendations,” include the contact information for two recommenders. Professors or supervisors should verify academic and professional accomplishments. They will be automatically emailed access information to the system. They can then complete and upload their recommendation form and letter.
- Writing Sample: There is a Writing Sample requirement for applicants applying to the MA in Communication program. Please click here to download the instructions and article for your writing sample. This exercise asks you to write a single, brief paragraph. It should not take the form of a larger document, such as a letter, an email, a report, or a plan. Submit one paragraph with no more than 250 words.
- Submit the application and pay the $75 fee when you have uploaded all the necessary materials (listed above).
- The MA in Communication and Certificate in Nonprofit Management programs have different requirements for GRE scores:
- The MA in Communication program may require GRE scores. The program waives this requirement for applicants who have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 and higher or at least five years of full-time work experience after completing college. Submit results directly to the Advanced Academic Programs Office of Admissions, using the code 8747. Photocopies will not be accepted.
- The Certificate in Nonprofit Management program does not require GRE scores of anyone.
JHU AAP accepts official transcripts that are electronically sent directly from the granting institution and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your institution does not provide electronic transcripts, request that your institution send an official transcript directly to:
Johns Hopkins University
AAP Admissions Office
1717 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 101
Washington, DC 20036
- If you have international coursework, send in the course-by-course credential evaluation. Study abroad may be exempt. Visit the International Applicants page to learn more.
- If English is your second language, you may be required to take the TOEFL or IELTS examination. Visit the International Applicants page to learn more.
* The Admissions Committee reserves the right to request additional information from applicants, if needed, to assess their candidacy for admission. If you have a question about admission requirements, please don’t hesitate to contact admissions at email@example.com.
No Application Deadline
Applications are accepted year-round and students may apply to enroll for Summer, Fall or Spring semesters. There are no strict application deadlines. However, it is recommended that students submit all of their application materials at least 6 weeks prior to the start of the semester (international students should apply at least 3 months before the semester starts). For more information about our application process, click here.
- Admissions Requirements
- Degree Requirements
- Course Descriptions
- Course Schedule