|Effective immediately, JHU AAP will only accept official transcripts that are electronically sent directly from the granting institution.|
A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited US college or university, or equivalent international credential, plus:
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- One semester of introductory microeconomics, passed with at least a B grade.
- One semester of introductory macroeconomics, passed with at least a B grade.
- One semester of undergraduate calculus, or equivalent, passed with at least a B grade.
[Any of these three courses above can be substituted by a CLEP exam with at least 65 points, scaled, or an AP exam with at least a grade of 4.]*
- Intermediate economic theory courses [especially Micro] are helpful and desirable but are not essential. A higher grade in a more advanced course in Micro and Calculus trumps a lower grade in a less advanced course, but a lower grade than B in Intermediate Micro is not acceptable.
* To submit a CLEP score:
- Download the CLEP transcript submission form.
- Under “CLEP TRANSCRIPT RECIPIENT,” submit your score to the following address: Johns Hopkins University, Advanced Academic Programs, Attn: Office of Admissions, 1717 Massachusetts Ave NW, Suite 101, Washington, DC 20036. (Please Note: Do NOT include a college code #)
- To send to the College Board, follow the instructions listed at the bottom of the form.
To submit a CLEP score at the time of the exam, please contact the Test Administrator. For questions about submitting a CLEP score, please email email@example.com.
How to Apply
Individuals who wish to apply for the dual MS in Applied Economics/MBA program must apply through the Advanced Academic Programs. The MS in Applied Economics program will consider applicants for the MS in Applied Economics portion of the degree, while the MBA program will consider applicants for the MBA portion of the degree. An individual can be accepted into one, both, or neither programs.
- Complete the Online Application.
- Upload the following required materials to the Online Application*:
- 250-word Statement of Purpose
- Under “Recommendations,” include the contact information for two recommenders. They will be automatically emailed access information to the system. They can then complete and upload their recommendation form.
- One-page resume
- Submit the application and pay the $75 fee when you have uploaded all the necessary materials (listed above).
JHU AAP accepts official transcripts that are electronically sent directly from the granting institution and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your institution does not provide electronic transcripts, request that your institution send an official transcript directly to:
Johns Hopkins University
AAP Admissions Office
1717 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 101
Washington, DC 20036
- If you have international coursework, send in the course-by-course credential evaluation. Study abroad may be exempt. Visit the International Applicants page to learn more.
- If English is your second language, you may be required to take the TOEFL or IELTS examination. Visit the International Applicants to learn more.
* Admission to the MBA portion of the dual degree may require the GMAT or GRE. A waiver from these exams may be approved if a candidate has:
- completed a graduate degree and can demonstrate quantitative ability through coursework of B or better in Statistics, Corporate Finance or Microeconomics
- completed an undergraduate degree and has at least five years of professional experience. Applicant has also taken at least one course in Statistics, Corporate Finance, and Microeconomics and earned a B or better and earned an overall GPA of 3.0 or better.
- holds a professional designation such as CPA or CFA.
Submit results directly to the Advanced Academic Programs Office of Admissions, using the code 8747. Photocopies will not be accepted.
No Application Deadline
Applications are accepted year-round and students may apply to enroll for Summer, Fall or Spring semesters. There are no strict application deadlines. However, it is recommended that students submit all of their application materials at least 6 weeks prior to the start of the semester (international students should apply at least 3 months before the semester starts). For more information about our application process, click here.
- Admissions Requirements
- Degree Requirements
- Course Descriptions
- Career Opportunities
- Course Schedule
- Students & Alumni
- Links of Interest