Montgomery County Campus
About the Campus
Montgomery County Campus
9601 Medical Center Drive
Rockville, MD 20850
Located in the heart of one of the nation’s leading biotechnology clusters, the Montgomery County Campus at the Shady Grove Life Sciences Center is the result of a cooperative effort involving Johns Hopkins, the Montgomery County government, and many of the Technology Council firms in the I-270 corridor. Since opening for classes in 1988, the campus has become a major educational resource for Montgomery County and the surrounding Washington, DC, area. Facilities and services include 40 classrooms, a state-of-the-art teaching wet lab, four computer labs, a distance learning classroom, a library with electronic search capabilities, a 300-seat auditorium, 150-seat presentation room, faculty and student lounges, and vending areas. The success of the programs offered at the Montgomery County Campus by four Johns Hopkins divisions resulted in the construction of the Academic and Research Building, which opened in January 2000.
The Sheridan Libraries closed its physical location in Gilchrist Hall on Montgomery County Campus (MCC) on July 1, 2018. Despite its closing, the Sheridan Libraries will continue to support the teaching, learning and research activities of faculty, students and staff at that location. Online and other library services, including Ask a Librarian, live chat, phone reference, database access, research orientations for classes and circulation of physical materials, will continue to be provided. Faculty, students and staff of MCC can access the library services and resources as follows:
Reach librarians for questions, individual research consultations and to schedule online class instruction using any of the following options:
- Submit questions to Ask a Librarian
- Email email@example.com
- Call 410-516-8335
- Text 410-692-8874
- Chat online
- Meet in person at the Homewood, Columbia, or DC campus locations
- Conduct research through the online catalogue and databases at library.jhu.edu.
Get physical materials delivered to MCC at the designated pickup location:
- Faculty, students and staff with library cards can continue to make requests via the online catalogue
- Faculty and students with a JHED ID can still have Interlibrary Loan or BorrowDirect books delivered for pickup at Montgomery Campus
- Materials can be conveniently returned to the Montgomery campus designated pickup location
Computer and Web Services
- Web-enabled work stations are located on campus, providing email access. Kiosks are not enabled for printing. Printing is available for a fee with a printing card, which can be purchased from the library on the first floor of Gilchrist Hall.
- The campus offers wireless Internet access to all on-campus guests.
The Montgomery County Campus has a security presence in all buildings and a security car used to patrol parking areas. Campus security officers are on duty from 8 a.m. – 10 p.m. Monday thru Friday and from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. on Saturdays. In addition, surveillance cameras are positioned throughout the campus.
In case of an emergency, contact the front desk in the Academic and Research Building, 2nd floor of Charles W. Gilchrist Hall, or Building III or call 301-294-7000.
Directions & Parking
Please visit the Montgomery County Campus website.