Tuition and Fees
Billing Statement Changes
Effective in Spring 2016, all fees for each course will be itemized on your statement and listed separately from tuition. If you receive financial assistance, please check with your sponsor regarding reimbursement of tuition and fees. Please note that all fees are non-refundable. Full course tuition is due at the time of registration. All other fees are payable as noted below.
The application fee is $75 for all programs. The application fee must be submitted with the application and is not refundable under any circumstances.
Some courses require, in addition to tuition, field trip, laboratory, technology, and thesis fees. These fees, specified in the Course Schedule for each semester/term, are payable at the same time as the regular tuition charges and are nonrefundable.
*2016-2017 Tuition Rates
Tuition for Graduate Degrees
- MS in Applied Economics – $4,000 per course
- MS in Bioinformatics – $4,074 per course
- MS in Biotechnology – $4,074 per course
- MS in Biotechnology Enterprise and Entrepreneurship – $4,074 per course
- MA in Communication – $3,853 per course
- MS in Energy Policy and Climate – $3,672 per course
- MS in Environmental Sciences and Policy – $3,708 per course
- MA in Film and Media – $4,326 per course
- MS in Food Safety Regulation – $4,074 per course
- MS in Geographic Information Systems – $3,708 per course
- MA in Global Security Studies – $3,673 per course
- MA in Government – $3,673 per course
- MS in Government Analytics – $3,673 per course
- Master of Liberal Arts – $2,393 per course
- MA in Museum Studies – $3,928 per course
- MA in Public Management – $3,673 per course
- MS in Regulatory Science – $4,074 per course
- MS in Research Administration – $3,566 per course
- MA in Science Writing – $2,918 per course
- MA in Teaching Writing – $2,918 per course
- MA in Writing – $2,918 per course
Tuition for Certificate Programs
- Advanced Graduate Study in Liberal Arts – $2,393 per course
- Applied Research in Communication – $3,853 per course
- Biotechnology Enterprise – $4,074 per course
- Biotechnology Education – $4,074 per course
- Digital Curation – $3,928 per course
- Geographic Information Systems – $3,708 per course
- Government Analytics – $3,673 per course
- Intelligence – $3,673 per course
- Nonprofit Management – $3,673 per course
- Post Master’s Certificate in Quantitative Methods in Applied Economics – $4,000 per course
- Post-Master’s Certificate in Sequence Analysis and Genomics – $4,074 per course
- Science, Technology, and International Security – $3,566 per course
- Science Writing – $2,918 per course
- Teaching Writing – $2,918 per course
MBA Courses in Dual Degrees
Tuition rates for the MBA are available on the Carey Business School website. *These rates are subject to change. **All online courses include a $175 technology fee.
All fully online and blended courses in AAP require an additional technology fee of $175 per course. This fee applies to all students registered in online classes, and it is not refundable.
Registration is open for approximately two months prior to the start of a semester/term, offering several ways for students to register. Late registration starts the day after registration ends and requires a $150 fee. Check the Academic and Registration Calendar for late registration deadlines. Students registering late should check the Refund Schedule. Students who wish to register late can fax their registration to 202.452.1970.
Continuous Enrollment Fee
Effective fall 2013 and beyond, all newly enrolled AAP students pursuing a master’s degree or graduate certificate must continuously enroll in their academic program during Fall and Spring semesters in order to maintain good standing and admission status. January intersession, May intensive and summer sessions have been excluded from this requirement. Continuous enrollment entitles students to advising services, career services, and use of the Johns Hopkins facilities, including library facilities. AAP students will still have a maximum of 5years to complete all degree requirements applied toward graduation. Exemptions from the continuous enrollment policy will be granted only for documented medical emergencies, approved leave of absence, or military services. Requests for the exemption to the policy should be made to firstname.lastname@example.org with supporting documentation. Those requesting an office Leave of Absence, should complete the online Leave of Absence Request form. Students who are not continuously enrolled in courses will be charged a non-refundable fee of $75 for each term of non-credit enrollment.
Thesis Continuation Fee
Students who are in a thesis course and do not finish the thesis in the semester in which they enrolled for it must pay a continuation-of-enrollment fee of $500 for each subsequent semester/term until a final grade has been submitted. Students submit a registration form with payment to the Enrollment Office. This fee also allows students to continue using university facilities such as libraries, and the Johns Hopkins Enterprise Directory (JHED).
Every graduate needs to pay the graduation fee, regardless of whether or not they plan to attend the ceremony. The graduation fee is $100 and is payable upon receipt of a bill from the Student Accounts office. Student Accounts sends this bill in October to students who completed degree requirements during the summer term; in March to those who completed requirements in the fall; and in April to spring graduates.
Students may elect to withdraw from one or more course(s) for a variety of reasons. Refunds are made in accordance with the Refund Schedule.
- New Student Checklist
- Student Right to Know
- Academic Calendar
- 2016-17 Academic Catalog
- Course Schedule
- Academic Catalog Archive
- Register for Classes
- Tuition and Fees
- Refund Schedule
- Financial Aid
- Career Services
- Graduation Ceremonies and Application
- Current Students Resources
- Student Services Contact Information
- > JHU Bookstore
- > The Hub