Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Programs require a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Meeting the minimum GPA requirement does not guarantee admission. The Writing Program Admissions Committee will consider applicants who do not meet GPA requirements by reviewing and assessing professional or personal achievement. Applicants who received their bachelor’s degree in a country outside of the United States are required to provide a course-by-course credential evaluation and TOEFL scores if English is not their first language.
How to Apply
- Complete the Online Application.
- Upload the following required materials to the Online Application*:
- 2-3 page Statement of Purpose
- Up to two recommendation letters directly relating to the applicant’s experience or promise as a writer (optional)
- Recent writing samples in the chosen concentration (see below for details)
- Submit the application and pay the $75 fee when you have uploaded all necessary materials (listed above).
- Upload unofficial copies of transcripts to the application. If you have collegiate coursework outside of the United States, upload an unofficial copy of the course-by-course evaluation. Please do not upload unofficial copies of transcripts outside of the United States without the evaluation.
- Mail in official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate coursework completed within the US only. Mail to: Johns Hopkins University AAP Admissions Office, 1717 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 101, Washington, DC 20036. Or, you can send them electronically through Scrip-Safe or Docufide. You can send these transcripts to us prior to or after applying online. Transcripts depicting fewer than 12 credits that were transferred to a different US institution are not required unless pre-requisites are listed on them. Your application will not be complete until we have received official copies of all transcripts listed.
- If you have international coursework, send in the course-by-course credential evaluation. Study abroad may be exempt. Visit the International Applicants page to learn more. You can send this evaluation to us prior to or after applying online.
- If English is your second language, you may be required to take the TOEFL or IELTS examination. Visit the International Applicants page to learn more. You can send these scores to us prior to or after applying online.
- The program does not require a graduate entrance examination or proficiency in a foreign language, but the program will consider GRE scores when reviewing an application if they are provided and if the applicant requests such consideration. Applicants who submit test scores, international course evaluations, and other materials not on this list should follow specific directions for that document or contact Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org
* All application materials submitted to the Advanced Academic Programs become the property of Johns Hopkins University and will not be returned to applicants under any circumstances.
Writing Sample & Concentrations
For more information about your writing application and writing sample, visit the Your Writing Application page.
Advanced Standing allows consideration for seasoned professionals with accomplishments in a field or those who have graduate-level coursework from an accredited college or university to be exempt from taking up to two courses towards degree completion. To be considered for Advanced Standing, please e-mail Program Director Elise Levine at email@example.com regarding criteria and required materials.
No Application Deadline
Applications are accepted year-round and students may apply to enroll for Summer, Fall or Spring semesters. There are no strict application deadlines. However, it is recommended that students submit all of their application materials at least 6 weeks prior to the start of the semester (international students should apply at least 3 months before the semester starts). For more about our application process, click here.
- Admissions Requirements
- Degree Requirements
- Course Descriptions
- Tuition and Fees
- Career Opportunities
- Summer Conference
- Course Schedule
- The Experience
- Program Resources