Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. Programs require a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Meeting the minimum GPA requirement does not guarantee admission. The Writing Program Admissions Committee will consider applicants who do not meet GPA requirements by reviewing and assessing professional or personal achievement. Applicants who received their bachelor’s degree in a country outside of the United States are required to provide a course-by-course credential evaluation and TOEFL scores if English is not their first language.
All materials below except for transcripts can be submitted through our online application system. For help with the online application process, contact our Admissions Office at email@example.com or 202-452-1940. All materials are required unless noted as optional:
- Advanced Academic Programs Application
- Nonrefundable Application Fee: $75
- A two to three-page Statement of Purpose
- Recent writing samples in the chosen concentration (see below for details)
- Up to two recommendation letters directly relating to the applicant’s experience or promise as a writer (optional)
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate coursework completed within the US only (We accept official transcripts sent electronically through Scrip-Safe or Docufide, or in sealed institutional envelopes.)
- Course-by-course credential evaluation for all coursework completed outside of the US. Study abroad may be exempt. Visit the International Applicants webpage to learn more.
- TOEFL for international students who have not graduated from an accredited college or university in the US and whose native language is not English. Visit the International Applicants webpage to learn more.
- The program does not require a graduate entrance examination or proficiency in a foreign language, but the program will consider GRE scores when reviewing an application if they are provided and if the applicant requests such consideration. Applicants who submit test scores, international course evaluations, and other materials not on this list should follow specific directions for that document or contact Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Documents Checklist (PDF link)
All application materials submitted to the Advanced Academic Programs become the property of Johns Hopkins University and will not be returned to applicants under any circumstances.
Writing Sample & Concentrations
For more information about your writing application and writing sample, visit the Your Writing Application page.
No Application Deadline
Applications are accepted year-round and students may apply to enroll for Summer, Fall or Spring semesters. There are no strict application deadlines. However, it is recommended that students submit all of their application materials at least 6 weeks prior to the start of the semester (international students should apply at least 3 months before the semester starts). For more about our application process, click here.
- Admissions Requirements
- Degree Requirements
- Course Descriptions
- Tuition and Fees
- Career Opportunities
- Course Schedule
- Our Community
- The Experience
- Program Resources