Admission to AAP programs typically requires a minimum 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale. However, the MA in Teaching Writing program will review course transcripts and consider professional experience to assess applicants, regardless of GPA.
- AAP Admissions Requirements
- Application Deadline: Students may begin their studies in any semester. However, in order to ensure time for applicants to be fully considered, completed applications should received no later than 30-60 days before the start of the semester in which the applicant hopes to begin.
- Bachelor’s Degree: Students must hold a bachelor’s degree prior to enrolling.
- Application Materials: Please note that gathering and guaranteeing delivery of application materials is the responsibility of the applicant.
- Transcripts: Initially, unofficial digital copies of your transcripts are accepted, and applicants may be accepted on a conditional basis at that time. However, official copies will be needed before students may become fully enrolled. Official transcripts need to be mailed from all undergraduate and graduate institutions in which coursework was completed. International transcripts must be translated before submission. Please see the admissions requirements web page for more information.
- International Coursework: If you have international coursework, send the course-by-course credential evaluation. Please visit the International Applications page for details.
Teaching Writing Application Requirements
- Completed Application
- Résumé or Curriculum Vitae
- Transcripts from all college studies and latest degree.
- 750-1000 word Statement of Purpose, describing your professional goals and interests in using writing in your teaching and in exploring your writing.
- Up to ten pages (2500 words) of a writing sample or samples of any genre or type.
- Optional: Up to three letters of recommendation directly related to teaching skill, writing, or teaching promise.
Applicant Review Process
- Once an application is complete, the Admissions Department will submit a request for review by the Program Admissions Committee.
- The Program Admissions Committee consists of the Program Director and faculty members.
- Applications are reviewed as they are received by the committee so that review times may vary depending on the number of completed applications submitted.
- The committee reserves the right to contact the application for additional evidence of qualifications or to clarify provided materials.
- Once admitted to the program, the students will be allowed to register, after speaking to a faculty advisor.
- Upon acceptance, students are assigned a faculty advisor to help guide their studies.
- This same faculty advisor will help mentor the students through graduation, helping the student to identify courses that will have maximum impact on the student’s education in the program.
Are you a National Writing Project Teacher/Consultant?
Teachers who have taken one or more graduate-level courses similar to Teaching Writing courses may be eligible for Advanced Standing, which would credit that prior experience by allowing them to complete the MA in Teaching Writing degree with eight, or possibly seven, courses in our program. Teacher/Consultants who have completed an Invitational Summer Institute with a National Writing Project affiliate are automatically eligible for Advanced Standing consideration. If you have completed an NWP Invitational Summer Institute or a similar course and would like to be considered for Advanced Standing, please include a description of your experience in your Statement of Purpose.
State-specific Information for Online Programs
We currently are not accepting applications to the Master of Arts in Teaching Writing from students who reside in Wisconsin. For more information, please contact an admissions representative. Students should be aware of state-specific information for online programs.
- Course Description
- Admissions Requirements
- Degree Requirements
- Tuition and Fees
- Course Descriptions
- Course Schedule
- Multi-Year Schedule
- Teaching Writing Residency
- Contact Information