|Effective immediately JHU AAP will only accept official transcripts mailed or sent electronically directly from the granting institution. Hand delivered transcripts will be discarded upon receipt.|
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited US college or university. Applicants who received their bachelor’s degree in a country outside of the United States are required to provide a course-by-course credential evaluation and TOEFL or IELTS scores, if English is not their first language.
How to Apply
1) Complete the Online Application
Note: Two concentrations are required for this program, you will be required to select one of the combinations below:
- Business of Film and Media & Writing for Film and Television
- Sound for Film and Media & Business of Film and Media
- Writing for Film and Television & Sound for Film and Media
2) Upload the following required materials to the Online Application:
- Statement of Purpose: Explain why you are interested in earning the MA in Film and Media and how it will help your career. Double space your essay and limit it to 500 words or fewer (place the word count at the end of the document).
- Resume: Include any part- or full-time work, internship, and volunteer history. Detail any responsibilities related to the entertainment, music, media or communications fields.
- Under “Recommendations,” include the contact information for two recommenders. Professors or supervisors should verify academic and professional accomplishments. They will be automatically emailed access information to the system. They can then complete and upload their recommendation form.
- Required Supplemental Items:
- The Writing Sample is required for those interested in the Writing for Film and Television concentration. Please submit a scene(s) from a screenplay, a television spec script, a stage play or a short story. Please limit your sample to five (5) pages or less.
- The Portfolio is required for those interested in the Sound for Film and Media concentration. The portfolio should include samples of your work in sound and/or video. You can submit excerpts from music sessions, narratives, documentaries, commercials, songs or any other type of media.
3) Submit the application and pay the $75 fee when you have uploaded all necessary materials (listed above).
4) Upload unofficial copies of transcripts to the application. If you have collegiate coursework outside of the United States, upload an unofficial copy of the course-by-course evaluation. Please do not upload unofficial copies of transcripts outside of the United States without the evaluation.
5) Mail in official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate coursework completed within the US only. Mail to: Johns Hopkins University AAP Admissions Office, 1717 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 101, Washington, DC 20036. Or, you can send them electronically through Scrip-Safe or Docufide. You can send these transcripts to us up to 3 months prior to or after applying online. Transcripts depicting fewer than 12 credits that were transferred to a different US institution are not required unless pre-requisites are listed on them. Your application will not be complete until we have received official copies of all transcripts listed.
6) If you have international coursework, send in the course-by-course credential evaluation. Study abroad may be exempt. Visit the International Applicants page to learn more. You can send this evaluation to us up to 3 months prior to or after applying online.
If English is your second language, you may be required to take the TOEFL or IELTS examination. Visit the International Applicants page to learn more. You can send these scores to us up to 3 months prior to or after applying online.
- Admissions Requirements
- Program Requirements
- Course Schedule
- Course Descriptions