Links of Interest
- NABE Economists’ Salary Survey 2014 (PDF). The absence of a male/female wage differential may be worth noting.
- Mid-Career Earnings
- “Earnings of Economics Majors,” from Cognito Mentoring, a long and thoughtful article with evidence.
- Correlation is not Causation, Tim Harford
- New Tricks for Econometrics, Hal Varian, Chief Economist at Google
- Data Science from the Perspective of an Applied Economist
- Big Data as Janitor Work [NYT]. It has always been thus.
- The Grumpy Economist. John Cochrane. As good as it gets.
- Greg Mankiw’s Blog
- Marginal Revolution — Eclectic.
- Mark Thoma — Links to many econ blogs and posts.
- VoxEu — Views from Europe.
- Statistical Modelling, Causal Inference and Social Science
MA in Economics Programs
PhD in Public Policy, Local Programs
Some programs give credit for many of the courses at Applied Economics. Check out the following:
PhD in Computational Social Sciences
PhD in Economics Advice
- Greg Mankiw, PhD, or not?, Greg Mankiw’s Blog. [see all advice posts on lower right of the page.]
- Stuart Hillmon, Getting a PhD in Economics, U Penn Press, 2014.
- The Surprisingly High Non-Success of the Successful
SAS Users Group
STATA Internet Discussion Group
International Institute of Forecasters
- The Funniest Papers in the History of Economics
- Correlation is not Causation, via Greg Mankiw
- Economics-Sociology Dictionary
- Merle Hazard, The Greek Debt, via Greg Mankiw
- Econ School Dropout
- Yoram Bauman, “Mankiw’s 10 Principles of Economics, translated”
- Carlo Cipolla, The Basic Laws of Human Stupidity, 1987.
- Axel Leijonufvud, Life Among the Econ, 1973. Classic.
- Resources for Economists [AEAweb]
- Gapminder [Fun! Play with this before tackling Penn World Tables]
- Penn World Tables
- Historical Financial Statistics
- Data Sets on Economic Development
- Bureau of Economic Analysis
- Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Census Bureau
- Current Population Survey
- Federal Reserve
- St. Louis Fed
- Tax Policy Center [Brookings/Urban Institute]
- US Tax Expenditures [from Pew Charitable Trusts]
- World Bank
- Admissions Requirements
- Degree Requirements
- Math at Applied Economics
- Tuition and Fees
- Course Descriptions
- Course Syllabi
- Illustrative Curricula
- Course Schedules
- Career Opportunities
- Links of Interest
- Concentration in Financial Economics