|Effective immediately JHU AAP will only accept official transcripts mailed or sent electronically directly from the granting institution. Hand delivered transcripts will be discarded upon receipt.|
A grade point average of at least a minimum of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in undergraduate studies. A minimum GPA of 3.0 does not guarantee admission. Particular interests and work experience will also be considered.
How to Apply
- Complete the Online Application.
- Upload the following required materials to the Online Application*:
- A statement of purpose (1-2 pages) that explains the applicant’s reasons for seeking admission and includes a plan of study addressing the applicant’s analytical abilities and interest in studying the theory and practice of government and politics.
- Two letters of recommendation, preferably one academic reference. Recommendation form found on the online application is required.
- A writing sample of two to five pages that is policy oriented. If you do not have a policy oriented paper that you wish to submit, you may write a three page, double-spaced essay on the following question:
“A memorandum is not written to inform the reader, but to protect the writer.”
—Former Secretary of State Dean Acheson
Please discuss whether you think the quote from former Secretary Acheson is accurate or not and why?
- Submit the application and pay the $75 fee when you have uploaded all necessary materials (listed above).
- Upload unofficial copies of transcripts to the application. If you have collegiate coursework outside of the United States, upload an unofficial copy of the course-by-course evaluation. Please do not upload unofficial copies of transcripts outside of the United States without the evaluation.
- Mail in official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate coursework completed within the US only. Mail to: Johns Hopkins University AAP Admissions Office, 1717 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 101, Washington, DC 20036. Or, you can send them electronically through Scrip-Safe or Docufide. You can send these transcripts to us prior to or after applying online.
- If you have international coursework, send in the course-by-course credential evaluation. Study abroad may be exempt. Visit the International Applicants webpage to learn more. You can send this evaluation to us prior to or after applying online.
- If English is your second language, you may be required to take the TOEFL or IELTS examination. Visit the International Applicants webpage to learn more. You can send these scores to us prior to or after applying online.
* The Admissions Committee reserves the right to request additional information from applicants, if needed, to assess their candidacy for admission.
All application materials submitted to the Advanced Academic Programs become the property of Johns Hopkins University and will not be returned to applicants under any circumstances.
Provisional Student Status
If you do not meet all the requirement criteria for admissions, you may still be admitted to a program as a provisional student. Admission in these cases are determined on a case-by-case basis.
Students admitted as Provisional Students will usually be required to take 470.302.51 Introduction to Graduate Work in the first semester. This course does not count toward the degree and provisional students must earn a B or better in that course and the first two regular courses for the program before they are allowed to continue as a degree candidate. Other students may find it beneficial to take this course and are encouraged to do so. Please also refer to “Student Status” in this catalog for descriptions and criteria of the different categories of student status.
No Application Deadline
Applications are accepted year-round and students may apply to enroll for Summer, Fall or Spring semesters. There are no strict application deadlines. However, it is recommended that students submit all of their application materials at least 6 weeks prior to the start of the semester (international students should apply at least 3 months before the semester starts). For more about our application process, click here.
- Admissions Requirements
- Degree Requirements
- The Experience