Prospective students must hold a bachelor’s degree prior to enrolling in the program. Generally, students should have a grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in the latter half of their undergraduate studies. Particular interests and work experience will also be considered.
How to Apply
- Complete the Online Application.
- Upload the following required materials to the Online Application*:
- A 1-2 page Statement of Purpose. The Statement of Purpose explains the applicant’s reasons for seeking admission and includes a plan of study addressing the applicant’s analytical abilities and interest in studying the theory and practice of government and politics.
- Two recommendations. Please include the contact information for two references who can verify professional and/or academic accomplishment. The references will be automatically emailed information on how they can access the recommendation system.
- A resume or CV.
- A 5-page, double-spaced essay on the following question:
“America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to Freedom and independence of all.”
—John Quincy Adams
This quotation reflects the trends in American national security for much of the nation’s history. Are the implications that can be drawn from the statement consistent with the demands of American national security in the 21st century? Discuss this problem in reference to some recent policy issues or political events, citing at least three references.
- Submit the application. You can pay the $75 application fee when you have uploaded all materials listed above.
- Upload unofficial copies of transcripts to the application. If you have collegiate coursework outside of the United States, please upload an unofficial copy of the course-by-course evaluation. Please do not upload unofficial copies of transcripts from outside of the United States without the evaluation.
- Mail in official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate coursework completed within the US only. Mail to: Johns Hopkins University AAP Admissions Office, 1717 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Suite 101, Washington, DC 20036. Alternately, you may send them electronically through Scrip-Safe or Docufide. You can send these transcripts to us prior to or after applying online. Transcripts depicting fewer than 12 credits that were transferred to a different US institution are not required unless pre-requisites are listed on them. Your application will not be complete until we have received official copies of all transcripts listed.
- If you have international coursework, send in the course-by-course credential evaluation. Study abroad may be exempt. Visit the International Applicants webpage to learn more.
- If English is your second language, you may be required to take the TOEFL or IELTS examination. Visit the International Applicants webpage to learn more. You can send these scores to us prior to or after applying online.
* The Admissions Committee reserves the right to request additional information from applicants in order to assess their candidacy for admission.
Submitted application materials become the property of Johns Hopkins University and will not be returned to applicants.
Provisional Student Status
If you do not meet all the requirements for admissions, you may still be admitted to a program as a provisional student. Admission in these cases is determined on a case-by-case basis.
Students admitted as Provisional Students will usually be required to take 470.302.51 Introduction to Graduate Work in the first semester. This course does not count toward the degree and provisional students must earn a B or better in that course and the first two regular courses for the program before they are allowed to continue as a degree candidate. Other students may find it beneficial to take this course and are encouraged to do so.
No Application Deadline
Applications are accepted year-round and students may apply to enroll for Summer, Fall or Spring semesters. There are no strict application deadlines. However, it is recommended that students submit all of their application materials at least 6 weeks prior to the start of the semester (international students should apply at least 3 months before the semester starts). For more about our application process, click here.
- Admissions Requirements
- Degree Requirements