Students must take a total of six courses to complete the certificate requirements: five core courses and one elective. Up to two courses completed in the JHU Museum Studies master’s degree program may be applied toward the certificate upon admission to the certificate program. This includes two courses marked with asterisks below, or one of these courses plus an elective. Students enrolled in the MA in Museum Studies program must take the Collection Management course in the MA (as a core or elective course) as a prerequisite to Digital Preservation and Foundations of Digital Curation. Also, up to two courses from the Digital Curation Certificate program marked with asterisks may be applied to the JHU Museum Studies master’s degree program as electives.
Digital Curation Core Courses
- 460.670 – Digital Preservation (Students in the MA program must take Collection Management as a prerequisite)
- 460.671 – Foundations of Digital Curation (Students in the MA program must take Collection Management as a prerequisite)
- 460.672 – Managing Digital Information in Museums (All students must take either Digital Preservation or Foundations of Digital Curation as a prerequisite)
- 460.673 – Internship – consisting of at least 120 hours of supervised field experience, plus an analytical term paper or project (repeatable once as an elective). The internship is taken after completing at least two of the following core courses: Digital Preservation, Foundations of Digital Curation, or Managing Digital Information in Museums.
- 460.674 – Final Research Paper – The research paper is normally completed as the final requirement in the certificate program.
Students may choose any of the MA courses to meet the Digital Curation elective requirement, but they are encouraged to discuss their choice and its relevance to their career goals with the Digital Curation Program Coordinator prior to enrollment.
State-specific Information for Online Programs
Note: Students should be aware of additional state-specific information for online programs. For more information, please contact an admissions representative.
- Admissions Requirements
- Certificate Requirements
- Course Descriptions
- Tuition and Fees
- Career Opportunities
- Course Schedule
- Program Resources