Mona Yacoubian, Adjunct Faculty
Mona Yacoubian is senior advisor for the Stimson Center’s Middle East program. Her work focuses on the Arab Uprisings, with a particular concentration on Syria. She is the director of “Pathways to Progress: Peace, Prosperity and Change in the Middle East,” a joint initiative with the George C. Marshall Foundation that explores the dynamics propelling the Arab revolts and seeks innovative policy solutions that will ensure that the region embarks on a path towards peace and prosperity. Yacoubian also co-directs the Stimson-US Institute of Peace Lebanon Working Group.
Yacoubian joined the Stimson Center in 2011, having previously served as a special advisor and senior program officer on the Middle East at the U.S. Institute of Peace, where her work focused on Lebanon and Syria as well as broader issues related to democratization in the Arab world. She has worked as a consultant on the Middle East for several years. From 1990-1997, she served as the North Africa analyst at the U.S. Department of State.
Yacoubian is a frequent commentator on the Arab world and is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations. She was a Fulbright Scholar in Syria (1985-86) and held an International Affairs Fellowship with the Council on Foreign Relations. Yacoubian has an MPA from Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government and a BA from Duke University.
- “Iran’s Opportunity for Negotiations,” September 23, 2013, Foreign Policy
- “A potential turning point for Syria,” September 12, 2013, Reuters
- “A Catch 22 With Russia,” August 26, 2013, New York Times
- “The Security Situation in the Syrian Arab Republic: Implications for U.S. National Security and U.S. Policy Options,” July 17, 2013, Testimony for the House Armed Services Committee
- “Op-ed: Hezbollah’s Gamble in Syria,” June 2, 2013, Foreign Affairs
- “Can Egypt Become the Next India?,” June 2013, The Outpost
- “Op-ed: Give Peace Talks in Syria a chance,” May 10, 2013, CNN.com
- “Sustaining the Spring: Economic Challenges, Environmental Risks, and Green Growth,” February 2013, Stimson Center
- “Roundtable: Arming the Syrian Rebels,” February 21, 2013, Foreign Policy