Donald Jensen, Adjunct Faculty
Dr. Donald N. Jensen is a member of the adjunct faculty at Johns Hopkins SAIS and is an Adjunct Senior Fellow at the Center for European Policy Analysis, where he is editor of the CEPA Information Warfare Initiative. He was formerly a Senior Fellow at the Center for Transatlantic Relations, Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies.
A former US diplomat, Jensen provided technical support for the START, INF, and SDI negotiations and was a member of the first ten-man US inspection team to inspect Soviet missiles under the INF Treaty in1988. From 1996-2008 he was Associate Director of Broadcasting and Head of the Research Division at RFE/RL where he helped lead that organization’s expansion into new broadcast regions after the end of the Cold War and adaptation of multimedia technology to deal with the challenges of the 21st Century. Jensen was a foreign policy advisor to the presidential campaign of Governor John Kasich in 2016.
Dr. Jensen writes extensively on the domestic, foreign and security policies of Russia, Ukraine, and the other post-Soviet states, including for The American Interest, US News, Newsweek, the Voice of America and the Institute of Modern Russia. He is a regular commentator on CNBC, Fox News, RFE/RL and the Voice of America. He has lectured at a variety of universities, including Johns Hopkins, Harvard, Oxford and George Washington University.
Also a noted baseball historian specializing in the Dead Ball Era and the 19th Century game, Jensen is a member of the Society for American Baseball Research and has written or co-authored several books and articles on the sport. He was the 2015 winner of the Chairman’s Award of the SABR Nineteenth Century Committee and is a regular lecturer at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY. Jensen is the editor of Baseball: A Journal of the Early Game.
He received his PhD and MA from Harvard and his BA from Columbia.
- “Twilight of the Putin Era?”, Chapter 8 in The Eastern Question: Russia, the West, and Europe’s Grey Zone, Daniel S. Hamilton and Stefan Meister, eds. (Washington: Center for Transatlantic Relations, 2016).
- “The New Normal,” (with Ethan S. Burger), The Cipher Brief,. October 23, 2016.
- “Moscow Prefers Republicans,” The American Interest, August 9, 2016.
- “Russia’s Great Power Choice,” (with William Courtney), S. News and World Report, June 1, 2016.
- “The Tide is Going out on Putin.” (with William Courtney), Newsweek, January 24, 2016.
- “We Need to Take a Tougher Line with Putin,” (with William Courtney), Newsweek, , October 31, 2015.
- Weekly Editors Notes, Information Warfare Initiative, 2016-17.
- Biweekly commentaries, Voice of America Russian Service, 2013-16.
- Biweekly commentaries, Institute of Modern Russia, 2013-15.